Galapagos equipment advice?

mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited August 4, 2008 in Cameras
Will be making a trip to the Galapagos in June. I've not done much wildlife photography, however I understand you can get pretty up-close in the Galapagos, so that should be fun. I was planning to take:
30D
10-22mm
24-105mm
80-200mm f/4 non-IS

I need to pick up a lightweight tripod. Still, I'm half thinking of leaving the 80-200mm and getting a 100-400mm. Either that, or possible upgrading the 80-200mm to the IS version. But then, on the other hand, if the wildlife is as tolerate of human visitors as they say, maybe I shouldn't worry so much about telephoto capability.

Anyone been to the Galapagos that can offer advice?

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Everything you need to know about photography in the galapagos islands: http://www.bythom.com/Galapagos.htm
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Everything you need to know about photography in the galapagos islands: http://www.bythom.com/Galapagos.htm

Thanks very much! Great info.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Well, I would definitely take a zoom lens if you want to do wildlife photography. Even if they are relatively comfortable with you, that doesn't mean you can just pat a bird on the back and ask it to say CHEESE!
    So, I think your setup sounds great. If you are doing wildlife it will likely be outside and moving, so IS is kind of useless in that setting. I would say to take what you have listed and have fun!
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Thanks, Jonathan. I'm going with your advise. Will probably look to upgrade my tripod before I go, and get a bayonet mount for the 70-200mm.

Oh and I guess I should get some practice shooting wildlife, since I've not done much of that. 11doh.gif