Options

Which to buy to callibrate

FliggygFliggyg Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited July 15, 2008 in Finishing School
I know this has probably been pounded in the ground but I am having a hard time trying to decide what to purchase to get my monitor callibrated. I am not sure which is the best callibrating system for the money. I really am new and would love to not waste money needlessly... To be honest I really am not sure I even need a callibrator... The reason I am wanting to get one is I am having problems with looking at some photos and determining if they are under/over exposed, telling if the colors are correct and etc...

Any recomendations?

Please forgive if I posted this in the wrong forum.. This is my first post and didnt know where to post the question....

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Welcome to Dgrin clap.gif

I use the Huey Pro which I really like and it was under $100 on Amazon.com. Very easy to set up and use, simple instructions and my prints turn out a LOT better since i've been using it.

Try the search tool for the forums too, I know there are already a number of threads about calibration tools. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 8, 2008
    I use the Spyder2 Pro and it seems to work fine. It has recently been updated to the Spyder3, and is supposed to be faster and better.

The Color Munki is getting some write ups lately also.

The Huey gets real mixed reviews. It seems to work fine for some, and others find it less than satisfactory.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    I've used a Spyder2 for a couple (or more) years and it seems to work just fine. I use SmugMug for my printing, and the workflow I've evolved has rendered the quality prints such that I've not had any issues or concerns with prints delivered to my clients.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    I gave Huey Pro a second chance and it still doesn't work on some of my computers. It's no faster than the Spyder2. Stay away from it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Get an EyeOne Display-2. Don't skimp. The display is critically important to calibrate and profile, you'll use this hardware for years. The EyeOne Display-2 is a proven device, used in the field for years, OEM'ed by lots of manufacturers, it has a great track record.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 9, 2008
    Amazon has the EyeOne-2 at $210. Well worth the money, I had thought it was much more expensive than that. That is less than what I paid for my Spyder2 years ago. Will it calibrate LCD projectors also? And printers?

Andrew, do you have any experience with the Color Munki? It will do projectors as well as displays, I understand.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andrew, do you have any experience with the Color Munki? It will do projectors as well as displays, I understand.

I did Alpha/beta on it. The software is still a bit rough around the edges but X-Rite is getting there. The hardware is quite impressive. It will do projectors (not as well as the EyeOne Pro in terms of distance from unit) and displays.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    In for the tech! :D
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    FliggygFliggyg Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Thanks for all the polite responses.. So i have decided to get the EyeOne Display-2 but not sure where to purchase. Can someone post me a link? if that is against forum rules then disregard...
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Fliggyg wrote:
    Thanks for all the polite responses.. So i have decided to get the EyeOne Display-2 but not sure where to purchase. Can someone post me a link? if that is against forum rules then disregard...

You in the US? There's always B&H Photo. Also, www.chromix.com or www.colormall.com.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    I know you already made your decision, but I'd just like to throw out that I just got the Spyder3 Pro, and it's done a fantastic job! I had the Huey Pro, but my monitor always felt a little green-tined to me. (Apple Cinema Display on a Mac Pro.) And my prints on my Epson 2200 always seemed to come out a little red. (I was probably compensating for the green tint by adding too much red.) I calibrated with the Spyder last night, took a look at my prints, and now they match! So now I've got to go tweek all the images a bit, take that extra red out...

Anyway, I've heard great things about the eyeone unit as well, but thought I'd throw out the Spyder3 Pro as a great little device.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Get an EyeOne Display-2. Don't skimp. The display is critically important to calibrate and profile, you'll use this hardware for years. The EyeOne Display-2 is a proven device, used in the field for years, OEM'ed by lots of manufacturers, it has a great track record.

15524779-Ti.gif I could not be more pleased with mine.