Options

Video Meta Data

TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited August 3, 2008 in Video
Aloha

I have a ton of short videos from three or four point and shoot cameras. I'm trying to get a handle on organizing my collection and have hit a dead end when it comes to video meta data.

What is the accepted portable (the data is with the file) solution for applying meta data such as ratings, keywords (similar to IPTC keywords for pictures) and captions/labels to video files?

So far I've experimented with picasa2, photoshop elements, and windows live gallery 2008. As far as I can tell all of those apps store the ratings/keywords in an internal database and I have yet to figure out a way to export the metadata to another application.

I tried out idimager, and hated the interface/speed but at least that application writes data to a "sidecar" xmp file. However I could not get any other application to recognize the sidecar file.

Is there any standard for video meta data, and if there is, would you recommend any applications that support that standard?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    An update with two more products:

Premier Elements 4 (demo): So far it appears there is no way to write ratings/keywords to the file with Adobe Premier. Also the .xml "side car" file generated by idimager is not recognized.

Bridge CS3:

Success. Ratings and keywords are written directly to the AVI file. This was verified by opening the file directly in notepad and seeing the ratings and keywords tagged to the end of the file.

The only issue: I have yet to find any file that recognizes this XMP data appended to the end of the .avi file. The ratings keywords are ignored by both PSE (version 5) and Premier 4. Suprising since they are all in the adobe family......

Even though I've found nothing compatible with it, I consider Bridge CS3 to be the best option so far. Unlike Picasa, Windows Live Gallery and PSE/Premier Elememts the meta data is stored with the file, not in a proprietary database.

Unfortunately I do not want Photoshop and for some reason Adobe will not sell bridge as a standalone product. I'll keep looking while my demo runs out.....