Options

Shooting Blunder

gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
edited April 21, 2005 in Technique
Well, I was tired, if that's an excuse. I shot some pics of my friend's garden forgetting that W/B was set for incandesant from the night before. I have been able to get a decent result out of PS, but I wondered if there was a formula for this kind of fix?

regards,

Gary

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Did you shoot RAW? You would be able to change the white balance when you convert it if you did.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Did you shoot RAW? You would be able to change the white balance when you convert it if you did.
    No, I have an f828 which has RAW, but I don't generally use that mode - buffer time is too long.

Gary
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I was reluctant to shoot raw when I got my Rebel too, not for the buffer time but for the post-processing time. But I'm a believer now. I still make too many beginner mistakes and I can use all of the safety margin I can get. nod.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Shooting RAW on the 828 has a huge performance penalty, it's just not practical when doing any kind of action work.

The only real option is to apply digital cooling filters or adjust the levels/curves to get the best WB you can. It won't be perfect, but you can do better than what you likely have. If nothing else, this will get your WB paranoia level to a sufficiently high level that this won't happen again mwink.gif

Post a sample and I will see if I can get a formula that might work on the other photos for you.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I was reluctant to shoot raw when I got my Rebel too, not for the buffer time but for the post-processing time. But I'm a believer now. I still make too many beginner mistakes and I can use all of the safety margin I can get. nod.gif
    This is a great suggestions as I move into the full manual mode. Certainly for the "important" shots.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    Shooting RAW on the 828 has a huge performance penalty, it's just not practical when doing any kind of action work.

The only real option is to apply digital cooling filters or adjust the levels/curves to get the best WB you can. It won't be perfect, but you can do better than what you likely have. If nothing else, this will get your WB paranoia level to a sufficiently high level that this won't happen again mwink.gif

Post a sample and I will see if I can get a formula that might work on the other photos for you.
    Shay,

Thanks very much. I will post one of the shots tonight. Funny, I was thinking of you yesterday (while running PF remover) most of these shots were through the trees and your magic action did its thing. Best buy I made, besides the camera.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005

Shay,

Here are some examples. I would have gotten these up sooner, but work has been interfering with my life. Almost Laughing.gif

thanks,

Gary,

20108859-M.jpg

20108860-M.jpg

20108861-M.jpg
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    A WB formula
    It's hard to say exactly what the colors ought to look like without having been there, but try this as a "formula" for converting from incandescent white balance to daylight: set the gamma for the red channel to 1.5 and the blue channel to 0.66 (leave the green channel alone). You can do this with the "Levels" tool in Photoshop (choose Channel at the top of the dialog box; gamma is the center of the three values in Input Levels). Other products will certainly vary, but the settings should be there.

Here's the result of the above formula applied to your original images:

20159210-M.jpg

20159212-M.jpg

20159213-M.jpg

I think some further levels adjustment and perhaps tweaking color saturation might be in order, but would you say that's an improvement?

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    ubergeek wrote:
    It's hard to say exactly what the colors ought to look like without having been there, but try this as a "formula" for converting from incandescent white balance to daylight: set the gamma for the red channel to 1.5 and the blue channel to 0.66 (leave the green channel alone). You can do this with the "Levels" tool in Photoshop (choose Channel at the top of the dialog box; gamma is the center of the three values in Input Levels). Other products will certainly vary, but the settings should be there.

Here's the result of the above formula applied to your original images:

I think some further levels adjustment and perhaps tweaking color saturation might be in order, but would you say that's an improvement?

Cheers,
    Jeremy
    Thanks, this is great! I had some luck playing with them, but I didn't have a real starting "formula". I will be working on them tonight.

Gary
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Looks good
    Nice work!
    ubergeek wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie