Options

Using a reflector

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 14, 2008 in Technique
Now, this may not be the right spot for this question and example, so feel free to move where appropriate. I got some white foam board and left one side white, spray painted the other mettalic gold. My question is, how close do you hold it to the subject so they aren't blinded? Obviously in this example, sooc, I'm too close. She looks very upset by the glare, wouldn't you say? Anyone with tips?

328348234_QNRGV-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    I'm with you on this one. I've never had any real success with reflectors used to reflect ambient light. By the time the ambient is bright enough that the reflector is effective, the reflected light is too bright for the model.

This is one reason I use flash for fill a lot more than I do reflectors. Flash is nearly instantaneous and the model(s) don't have enough time to start the squinting.

I have, however, used reflectors with flash lighting to good effect.
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Thanks Scott. I'm going to attempt it later as I love the catchlight that is does create. Maybe if I'm not so close with it?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    FWIW....more often than not a gold reflector is too gold....silver on the other hand....

Also, Yes, they can be a nuisance for even not so sensitive eyes. Have her keep them close til the count of three when you snap the shutter. I have had "some" success with them, but only attempt it with an assistant. With someone helping it is easier to get things arranged so the light isn't directly in line of sight from subject to camera.

They can give excellent results. I have only used white. I rarely bring them along if I am alone...with no help. Best bet....if you really want to use one....look for a place where shade meets sunlight in a hard line on the ground. Get your subject in the shade, and bounce that hard sunlight back at them.

examples....

Here, my daughter held the foam core while I shot from 30 feet away or so with an 85mm lens.....a tosser of a photo, but illustrates the technique. You can see the reflector at camera left near the subject.
    265603365_VW3Ep-M-3.jpg

Here...at same location and technique, but facing the other direction.
    265179670_xPfK9-L-2.jpg

Here I am not reflecting light, but rather using it to block some stray sunlight off of my subject.
    273095049_Jw4yB-M-3.jpg

The result
    272044070_Vx8Kn-M-1.jpg

This used a reflector at left, and shoe mounted flash together.
    265180586_d7WDJ-M-3.jpg

Reflector low at camera left.
    267087485_uGvf5-M-1.jpg

These used flash plus reflector.
    276931731_fVZHJ-S-1.jpg
    276931671_BFjyc-S-1.jpg
    276932669_dKu3y-S-1.jpg

At camera left...
    235191300_rBCdk-M.jpg

Two reflectors just below the lens and to the right.
    207572614_uTiPp-M.jpg
    207572594_cRbv6-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    very great examples, Jeff! clap.gif As with everything else I've done.......practice, practice, practice. Laughing.gif!! Thank you for sharing.:D
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    very great examples, Jeff! clap.gif As with everything else I've done.......practice, practice, practice. Laughing.gif!! Thank you for sharing.:D

No problem. Just wanted you to see that ...yes...they can give GREAT results, and the catchlights are a definate plus, but they can be very troublesome with no help, and aren't an option for every situation. I almost always shoot in shade so I am usually relying on flash for fill unless I find that magic location where sun and shade meet.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 9, 2008
    Is it possible to flex the foam board to a slightly convex surface, and thus, diminish the sharpness of the sun's reflection, and hence, diminish its annoyance to the subject? The assistant holding the foamboard needs to think of it as a mirror, and take care how they hold the reflection on the subject, also.

I use an Impact reflector opposite a flash quite frequently, but it can also be used to reflect ambient as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Is it possible to flex the foam board to a slightly convex surface, and thus, diminish the sharpness of the sun's reflection, and hence, diminish its annoyance to the subject? The assistant holding the foamboard needs to think of it as a mirror, and take care how they hold the reflection on the subject, also.

I use an Impact reflector opposite a flash quite frequently, but it can also be used to reflect ambient as well.

Hmmm I'm not sure how much bend this particular foam board has, but I'll see. I'll have to wait and practice all of this until my daughter gets back from church camp. All of my models.......(um...daughter and nieces, :D ) are there right now. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Like Jeff stated,

A reflector used on location shoots needs an assistant to handle it for you, otherwise I just rely on flash.

Unless I'm shooting in a fairly dark area, I'll always ask the model/subject to close their eyes until I say "Open", then I immediately shoot the pic. Not only does this eliminate the squint, more appropriately, it keeps the pupil from constricting to a tiny "beady" looking eye. I'll even do this for flash shots for the same reason if the ambient is fairly high. This also helps the model/subject to relax their forehead. It's a good practice all around.

On a couple of these shots, the reflector was over 70' away from the subject. News flash... Light travels far!!! --- So, don't limit yourself on using a reflector because the sunlight is far from your subjects placement.

Remember: Just as when using any light source, feather the light on the subject. Never a direct blast!

Here are some shots I did a while back using only a silver reflector:

208789375-L.jpg

208782145-L.jpg

208783925-L.jpg

208784955-L.jpg

208786048-L.jpg

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Thank you for your examples as well, Randy. Excellent photographs! I can see practicing in my future. Laughing.gif I can't wait though. Great point on closing the eyes. For my oldest daughter, this trick will work very well.

Thanks again :D
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Before I gave up on foam core completely and bought a set of proper reflectors, I used to tape plain white paper over the white foam core. The paper gave a flat surface that wasn't as brilliantly reflective as the shiny plastic foam. I liked the results better.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    That is a very worthwhile suggestion, Icebear. Matte versus shiny, specular reflectors. I can see why matte is preferable.

Myself, I have been wanting one of these badly Note that although it looks shiny, it does not reflect as a specular reflection, but a diffused beam of light. It can reflect sunlight or a speedlite. Just think, a north window anywhere you would like to have it!

There is even a dealer in Terre Haute - I will drop by a take a gander, I think.

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is a very worthwhile suggestion, Icebear. Matte versus shiny, specular reflectors. I can see why matte is preferable.

Myself, I have been wanting one of these badly Note that although it looks shiny, it does not reflect as a specular reflection, but a diffused beam of light. It can reflect sunlight or a speedlite. Just think, a north window anywhere you would like to have it!

There is even a dealer in Terre Haute - I will drop by a take a gander, I think.
    And then drop by here again with your impressions and their pricing.:D This looks like a really cool solution to a not so minor issue.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Scott,

I picked up a Mini Sun Bouncer - 3 x 4 feet. Silver on one side, and matte white on the other. Light and strong. Image a 3x4 foot softbox you can carry with one hand.

The vendor did not have the arms for the flash mount quite yet - expected sometime yet this summer.

When it arrives, I will be back with a new thread about it.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    If you have 5-in-1, simply use its white portion, as opposed to silver or gold. It's bright enough to fill the shadows, but doesn't hurt subject's eyes too much.
    Other than that "close-open-eyes" technique shpuld work well enough.
    And yes, in most cases you do need an assistant to operate it. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"