Options

Mystery with Smugmug external links

redcrownredcrown Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited July 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
On the dpreview forums an embedded image sometimes does not display. Many reasons, of course, but on several occassions now I've noticed a mystery when the embedded image is an external link to a Smugmug image.

Here is a recent example: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=26925690
with an image link to Smugmug.

Can you see the image?

Neither my Firefox 2.0.0.3 nor IE 7.0 will display the image. However, if you use the "new widow" option in the dpreview page sometimes the image will then appear. But sometimes not. However, if you refresh, or simply cut the URL and repaste, the image will finally appear. Thereafter, the image will appear in the normal forum window, since it's now in the browser cache. But if you clear browser history it starts over again, no image display until several attempts to redisplay.

This problem does not appear to occur with other image storage sites (flickr, pbase, zenfolio, etc).

A Smugmug bug? Something special needed in enabling external links?

Comments

• Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    I suspect that it's something to do with the javascript that dpreview use to auto-size their images...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    redcrown wrote:
    On the dpreview forums an
    Hi, I have 25,000 + posts on Dpreview, been there a looooooooong long time.

The biggest reason people's image fail to show up is they have external links turned off in their SmugMug gallery.