Options

Would you use this on your lens ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 18, 2005 in Accessories
Ive got an endless supply of these things & the honeymoon is over...its time to start cleaning my lenses.

Would you use it on expensives lenses ?

The front says simply anti-static/anti-fog.

19939442-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ive got an endless supply of these things & the honeymoon is over...its time to start cleaning my lenses.

Would you use it on expensives lenses ?

The front says simply anti-static/anti-fog.

19939442-M.jpg

nup not me mate. i use first, a blower and then a mink brush.... second, an antistatic cloth, (dry), third, some hot breath ... a little .. + antistatic cloth.. fourth (only if necessary) a lens pen...

do *not* use a date roll lol3.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nup not me mate. i use first, a blower and then a mink brush.... second, an antistatic cloth, (dry), third, some hot breath ... a little .. + antistatic cloth.. fourth (only if necessary) a lens pen...

Exactly as Andy says!! A Sensor swab and a "little" methyl alcohol for Sensor swabs can't hurt either for stuff that won't come off with the above.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    Thanks guys...i did use my mates flano shirt the other night & smeared a finger print right across the new 10mm...:jawdrop I realised straight away my error & have quadtriple checked & i got away with it but sat for a quiet moment & decided to re-think my methods.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Gus,

Do you have a UV filter or Skylight Filter on your lens? A cheap insurance policy IMHOthumb.gif

Brad
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 18, 2005
    andy wrote:

Hey Andy: I didn't find anything at the camera show so I'm moving forward with my plan to order this sensor cleaner-kit. Just verifying that it has your "seal of approval"? http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/39083486

Thanks.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I got a proper cloth and a small bottle of lens cleaner. Inexpensive, just a drop or two on the cloth, then wipe the lens, then use a dry part of the cloth to finish it off. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    waxy is that the same cloth you get with a new pair of specs ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey Andy: I didn't find anything at the camera show so I'm moving forward with my plan to order this sensor cleaner-kit. Just verifying that it has your "seal of approval"? http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/39083486

Thanks.

not only mine, but many others, too. yup works great.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    not only mine, but many others, too. yup works great.
    Thanks. I'm so nervous about my first sensor cleaning.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    waxy is that the same cloth you get with a new pair of specs ?
    Basically, yeah. I got mine from a photo shop, but I reckon it's the same stuff.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks. I'm so nervous about my first sensor cleaning.
    Don't be. I have cleaned my D70 twice now with this method with no problems. Was very reluctant the first time, but it was really no big deal. Just make sure your battery is fully charged.

mitch