Options

5MB too big

OC ZOOMOC ZOOM Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited July 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I read last week that if we post a picture in our galleries and it is larger than 5MB we no longer have to re-size it. Are you doing the re-sizing or are you allowing a picture more than 5MB? If you re-size, what are you eliminating to make it the correct size?

Comments

• Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 9, 2008
    OC ZOOM wrote:
    I read last week that if we post a picture in our galleries and it is larger than 5MB we no longer have to re-size it. Are you doing the re-sizing or are you allowing a picture more than 5MB? If you re-size, what are you eliminating to make it the correct size?

The regular limits are actually 12MB for Standard/Power and 24MB for Pro's (48 megapixels for all users).

We now accept larger photos and attempt to re-size them to the appropriate megapixels/size. I don't have any details of the algorithm though. It's much more difficult to target a specific file size than a certain amount of pixels, so that part may be a bit buggy (but also should be quite rare).

Also, please note that if you have an active SmugVault, we store the original huge JPEG there automatically.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    OC ZOOM wrote:
    They create display sizes from the original you upload so upload as large as
    you like within the upper size limit. See this help page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog