Options

Im scared I have to start from scratch...

Unbrok3nUnbrok3n Registered Users Posts: 444 Major grins
edited July 10, 2008 in Finishing School
OK, I've never been comfortable with pp at all. I have CS3 and lightroom, but I could never do a bunch of stuff to a picture and say "there, that's perfect." The contrast or white balance or saturation etc is always gonna be off.
All this to say, I only sharpen my images. And I have been uploading to smugmug like crazy over the past week of my trial before I pay my $150. I feel like they could obviously be better, but I dont know where to start with pp.

Could some people explain how they do things, or refer me to a very easy to understand book, website, tutorial, thread, etc??

Im really paranoid. Also, take a look at my site and let me know if I'm right or wrong. I want to upload a bunch more of my "good" pics tonight, but I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to go through and re-process them all.

Please help :( This is is stressing me out. haha
graphic designer/photographer

Comments

• Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Guess nobody wants to deal with a whiney kid who doesnt know anything about pp. haha. sorry :(
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    We have some good links in our tutorials section, in the navbar up top of the page. In particular, check out the tutorial on making your pictures pop. It's a really good first step to improving your images. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    You might want to consider getting Scott Kelby's books Photoshop CS3 for digital photographers and light room for photographers..........Great author, easy to follow.............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Can you link me to the picture popping tutor? I cant find it :(
    DavidTO wrote:
    We have some good links in our tutorials section, in the navbar up top of the page. In particular, check out the tutorial on making your pictures pop. It's a really good first step to improving your images. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:

Ok Zack don't stress out. I took a look at your web page, it looks quite nice. Follow the directions on how to make your photographs POP and I think you'll be well on your way.thumb.gif

You might check around the school. Their ought to be somebody that can give you some one on one in CS3.
    deal.gif
    Here is where DavidTO was sending you....
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    try the Scott Kelby book..7 point system http://www.kelbytraining.com/product/scott-kelbys-7-point-system-for-adobe-photoshop-cs3.html

I have it and it rocks!!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:

sure
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    OK, I think I've calmed down :)
    Sorry I freaked out.
    Anywho, should I get some tips from the "pop" tutor, etc. and then re-edit and re-upload my photos? (if they dont "pop")
    At a first glance, does anyone who looked at any of pics see ones that really need that extra boost? I Just need my eyes open a little.
    Thanks so much everyone. This forum always makes me feel better :)

jsmiley wrote:
    Ok Zack don't stress out. I took a look at your web page, it looks quite nice. Follow the directions on how to make your photographs POP and I think you'll be well on your way.thumb.gif

You might check around the school. Their ought to be somebody that can give you some one on one in CS3.
    deal.gif
    Here is where DavidTO was sending you....
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Hi Zack, I remember looking at your site the other day! I still think your theater shots are awesome. wave.gif

Post processing is a personal journey and you'll find your way. But there is a lot of info out there. I'm no expert but i had to just chime in that even those of us who aren't terribly studious or technical can have a good time looking around at great works, asking how it's done, experimenting with different techniques and eventually you'll find something that works for you.

Chin up, and good luck. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008

I think im gonna go through, try some things on different pics, and repost whatever looks better.

For the "popping" tutorial, does that same curves process work on all images?(people, water, landscapes, bugs, flowers, etc)? Just curious.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:

I think im gonna go through, try some things on different pics, and repost whatever looks better.

For the "popping" tutorial, does that same curves process work on all images?(people, water, landscapes, bugs, flowers, etc)? Just curious.

Try it!

It will work on any image that has a black point and a white point. Some misty shots won't have either.
    Moderator Emeritus