Options

Photo Prep

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited April 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I'm shooting sRBG-JPEG in a Canon 20d - Processing in PSCS using view proof and Ez-Prints ICC. When uploaded to SM photos look as processed.

1. Using this procedure, should photos print as displayed on SM?

2. Should I be doing something different?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    I'm shooting sRBG-JPEG in a Canon 20d - Processing in PSCS using view proof and Ez-Prints ICC. When uploaded to SM photos look as processed.

1. Using this procedure, should photos print as displayed on SM?

2. Should I be doing something different?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Am I so far in left field, I can't be helped?

Come on guys and gals, I need to know. ne_nau.gif I had a customer buy some photos and he said they were "orange-ie". The customer blamed himself for adding color at checkout. I'm just making sure what I'm doing is correct.

After reading post about Baldy spending time trying to correct poor color management, I felt sure he would put me on the right path.:D

Greg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    MitchMitch Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Awful darn close.

One suggestion. Order some of your prints just to see what they look like. I just got some that I ordered the other day. Maybe not right on 100% to my calibrated monitor:D. I should be getting another set here in the next couple of days.

Mitch
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    After reading post about Baldy spending time trying to correct poor color management, I felt sure he would put me on the right path.:D

Greg
    I must have been "Black Balled" because of former stupid questions. Several of my recent post, which I felt were legitimate, have received no attention from Smugmug.headscratch.gif Guess I need to go straight to the help desk where help has always been exemplary.:D

Thank goodness for Dgrinnersthumb.gif
    Greg
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    I must have been "Black Balled" because of former stupid questions. Several of my recent post, which I felt were legitimate, have received no attention from Smugmug.headscratch.gif Guess I need to go straight to the help desk where help has always been exemplary.:D

All the information that I've gotten on here indicates that you should save your image without an ICC profile at all. EZ prints assumes that every image uses an SRGB profile and adjusts the colors accordingly.

I have tested the color correction issue and it made a drastic (negative) difference in the image that I tested (a sunset with lots of neon). Calibrate your monitor, work exclusively in srgb, and you should be fine.

Mike
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Bodley wrote:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9410

You are not black balled; we are just busy with new things :)
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Yikes, sorry I missed this thread. I'm beginning to wonder if my method of coming into dgrin and hitting the new posts link is working like it should. Maybe I should head straight to smugmug support from now on. Besides, I get too disctracted by great shots of egrets and stuff.

Around the time you first posted, we came out with a new autoajust algorithm, so I don't think customers should be able to drastically break prints anymore. We've shipped maybe 15,000 autoadjust prints in that time and 3 have come back to us, all from the same order and the same scene. I still haven't figured out why that shot is tricking autocolor, but so far it's the only one.

Generally, if your files are in sRGB and your monitor displays sRGB accurately, you're going to get what you see on the monitor, although monitors tend to be brighter than prints.

A really good way to get a sense of it is to get a calibration print. I'm happy to send one if you email help.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9410

You are not black balled; we are just busy with new things :)
    Thanks for the replies - I was beginning to feel pretty STUPID! I totally understand the busy part - I don't see how ya'll do it. Fielding :argue all the time must get old :D
    Greg