Cloud Iridescence (like I've never seen before...)

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited July 13, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Caught this effect on a storm cloud yesterday. The upper edge was 'haloed' with a ring of colors which evolved over a couple of minutes from the rings of Saturn in to an Aurora before dissipating. These were taken with a Canon 400mm f/5.6 and I set a new speed record for setting up the tripod and camera/lens. :)

I believe this effect is called 'cloud iridescence', where the sun is behind the cloud and tiny evenly sized ice crystals refract the light.

328964033_tmtD6-L-3.jpg

328963997_Sp3SR-L-3.jpg

328964236_Th3ma-L-4.jpg

328964226_FTJwG-L-3.jpg

Comments

• tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Wow! These are beautiful!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Good postings. I've never seen this phenomenon before. Good thing you had your camera.clap.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    It's times like these that us humans need to sit back and say "We don't know anything about nature." It's going to do all sorts of stuff we'll never understand, so just enjoy it! I'm just glad we have cameras to capture it.thumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Beautiful! I like how you've got something resembling layers in the color.

Iridescent clouds are quite common - it's there every time you've got the frizzy edges of clouds or better yet some thin little clouds near the Sun. Seeing one worth photographing is rare though.

Btw. this thing forms in droplet clouds (ice crystals make halos). It's a close relative of a phenomenon called a corona and a distant one of rainbows. Atmospheric optics has more.

Good job!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Very neat. i would love to see that happen IRL here sometime. clap.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Beautiful images! I'd never even heard of that phenomenon before! Your pictures make me want to see some in person! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    That is something Amazing !! weldone thanks for taking and showing this image
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Thanks! I'm very fortunate to have seen this in person and twice as lucky to have my gear nearby. Luckier still to have good people like you to share them with.

This seems to be a less common and 'wilder' variant of iridescence. The closest other picture I've found to mine is this one on Atmospheric Optics, a site referenced several posts above.
    http://atoptics.co.uk/droplets/iridim6.htm

BTW, the owner of Atmospheric Optics, Les Cowley, will be adding picture #2 to his site soon.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    MikeK wrote:
    Thanks! I'm very fortunate to have seen this in person and twice as lucky to have my gear nearby. Luckier still to have good people like you to share them with.

This seems to be a less common and 'wilder' variant of iridescence. The closest other picture I've found to mine is this one on Atmospheric Optics, a site referenced several posts above.
    http://atoptics.co.uk/droplets/iridim6.htm

BTW, the owner of Atmospheric Optics, Les Cowley, will be adding picture #2 to his site soon.

Pileus clouds, eh? I will have to look for those. :D

You got an image to Cowley's site? That is cool! thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/