Studio cameras

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited July 11, 2008 in Cameras
Right now, I'm pretty open for what body to move to. I have a ton of Nikon glass so the Fuji and Nikon cameras are definitely an option, but of course it all comes down to the price. Luckily I don't need the camera till around early January so I will be able to take advantage of holiday pricing.

If I can grab a D700 it's definitely going to be my choice based on all the great reviews I've heard about the FX sensor. But in case that doesn't work out there are three cameras I am thinking about:

First is the D300, I haven't used one yet, but I have had experience with the D2x but it was always outside and never in a studio environment.

Next is the Fuji S5 Pro, I haven't used this camera either but I did have experience with the S3 and it created some amazing images

Finally, the oddball with the Olympus E3. Now that I'm waiting for the E420 to arrive I've been doing a lot of research on the four thirds system, and it seems really nice, especially with their high-quality lenses. But I haven't heard any reviews of how it works in the studio.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Just thought I would comment, but it struck me as odd that you included the Olympus in your list.

Odd that the D700, a full frame body, that you say would "definitely going to be my choice based on all the great reviews I've heard about the FX sensor", is considered while also considering a 4/3 system, which is much smaller sensor than even the D300.

I think the 4/3 system is designed to be less expensive and much lighter in weight as its primary benefits (not sure the 'standard' 4/3rds benefit has been realized).

This seems exactly opposite of all the rest of your candidate cameras.

Perhaps you need to look at and prioritize your needs, shooting style, and environment as part of your analysis.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Swinton Photo use the Oly line exclusively for all his work.....check out his galleries............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    I can't say for your other choices, but I just recently got the D300, and it is truly an awesome camera.........Sorry probably not a particularly helpful response.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Just thought I would comment, but it struck me as odd that you included the Olympus in your list.

Odd that the D700, a full frame body, that you say would "definitely going to be my choice based on all the great reviews I've heard about the FX sensor", is considered while also considering a 4/3 system, which is much smaller sensor than even the D300.

I think the 4/3 system is designed to be less expensive and much lighter in weight as its primary benefits (not sure the 'standard' 4/3rds benefit has been realized).

This seems exactly opposite of all the rest of your candidate cameras.

Perhaps you need to look at and prioritize your needs, shooting style, and environment as part of your analysis.

one of the big things I've been seeing with the Olympus system is that the lenses are extremely high-quality, and that combined with the fact that I wouldn't be taking this camera over ISO 400, (I shoot concerts occasionally But for that I pretty much only use my film cameras, if it's a serious shoot with tmax 3200 & tri-x) for my macro work the Olympus version live view is great, and swiveling LCD would also be a big help.

Of course the quality of the final images is a huge concern to me especially with the dynamic range for my black-and-white work. So the reason I included the Olympus was to hopefully get some real-life experience in studio situations. No matter which camera I choose it would be a compromise. So the big concern is which factors are limited on each body.

Also thanks Scott I am going to go check that gallery out right now
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    one of the big things I've been seeing with the Olympus system is that the lenses are extremely high-quality, and that combined with the fact that I wouldn't be taking this camera over ISO 400, (I shoot concerts occasionally But for that I pretty much only use my film cameras, if it's a serious shoot with tmax 3200 & tri-x) for my macro work the Olympus version live view is great, and swiveling LCD would also be a big help.

Of course the quality of the final images is a huge concern to me especially with the dynamic range for my black-and-white work. So the reason I included the Olympus was to hopefully get some real-life experience in studio situations. No matter which camera I choose it would be a compromise. So the big concern is which factors are limited on each body.

Also thanks Scott I am going to go check that gallery out right now
    Well, figured I should chime in on this one. I am an avid Olympus user. I do not have the E-3, though it is on my list for my next purchase. I currently use an E-510 and an E-500 as backup. I chose the 4/3 system for a number of reasons that I feel have really paid off big. So these are the benefits I have experienced with the Olyumpus DSLRs that may help in your decision:
    1. Size - While the E-3 is not a small camera, for the build quality it really is. It's body is as well built if not better built than any of the others on your list.
    2. Dust Reduction - Olympus made this standard on all their DSLRs over 5 years ago. Only in the last year or two has everyone else jumped on the wagon. And, according to reviews, and my personal experience, the dust-reduction system with Olympus is truly superb.
    3. Lenses - You are right the lenses are extremely high quality. The Zuiko lenses are really one of the biggest reasons I chose the Olympus line. I have had a lot of different Zuiko lenses and they are fantastic. I was very careful about choosing a DSLR system to buy into because I used a Hasselblad for my business before switching to digital. The Zuiko lenses really sold me. They are extremely sharp. And, the 4/3 system is the ONLY system where ALL the lenses were specifically designed for the DSLRs. There are a lot of reasons this is beneficial. Some include size, light path, etc. Many claim the 4/3 sensor is significantly smaller than other crop cameras and this is simply not true. DPReview just published a great article detailing size comparisons of sensors. The 4/3 dimension allows a smaller circle of light to be used on a sensor than with the 3/2 sensors. Now it is true the 3/2 crop sensors are slightly larger, but not nearly as different as people make it. Do the math - it's true. The different shape and minor size difference allows the lenses to be smaller and more manageable while maintaining awesome quality. I have a bunch of their lenses and would be happy to comment on them if you would be interested. (by the way the new SWD lenses are lightning fast at focusing). In my opinon great lenses are the most important tool you can carry.
    4. Price for money - I am a firm believer that any of the existing DSLR systems can produce excellent results for people. However, many other manufacturers really pull back on features unless you unload for their really expensive cameras. Now, you are looking at some pretty pricey options anyway, but, the E-3 has as many or more features than the other cameras you have listed. Again - just pull them up side by side. This sucker is packed!
    5. Features - Olympus is a real pioneer in my view for new technologies. They were the first to have dust reduction (E-1), they were the first to have live view (E-330), they were the first to have a DSLR with a movable screen (E-330), they were the first to create an entire line of digital specific lenses for their system (they created the 4/3 system from the ground up) and the E-3 has all of these and more.
    6. Experience - I have now been using the 4/3 system for years. I run a successful photography business, have photographed in many countries, and am as committed as ever to Olympus cameras. They are feature packed, responsive, lightweight, comfortable to hold, and produce excellent quality images. The high ISO stuff has really been blown out of preportion by pixel peeping gearheads who do nothing but stare at images at 100% on computer screens. I comfortably sell images I create at 800 and 1600 ISO on my E-510 every week. The prints look great.
    Check out my two websites to view some images made with these cameras. Check out the monochromes 2008 and the England galleries at jonathanswinton.com for some results from both the E-510 and E-500. The E-3 would be even better than these. I have a ton of images I am working through from a recent trip to China, and I am currently photographing in England right now. Those galleries should follow in the next few weeks (All shot with the E-510). Also, check out my business site swintonphoto.com. Most of these were done with Olympus DSLRs.

Anyone who claims the Olympus line is an oddball or not suited for professionals can come to my studio or ask my clients. We'll change their minds.

Feel free to ask me any questions. If you need lens recommendations I would be happy to give those as well. So, I am definitley biased, but I feel I have an arsenal of reasons to justify it :D
    edited July 11, 2008
    I think this may help you learn more about the 4/3 technology - a great read:
    http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/special/passion/
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Thanks for the great write up/site, I am definitely going to have to listen a little more closely next time I pick up an E3.

I have to admit when looking at these three cameras I am falling prey to the lust for megapixel size issue/total number. Then I always remember that almost all of my previous work was done with a six megapixel D50 and as for pixel size I'm currently using a ultracompact point-and-shoot and getting great results. (which has been a huge shock to me)

My experiences over the next few months with the E420 are definitely going to be a huge deciding factor, so far I've been amazed with the design and feature set. And with all the talk about the ruggedness. I might have to make a few trips out to the mountains with the e3 deal.gif

As for lenses the great thing is I would be able to use them on both my walkaround camera and studio one. So I'm beginning to think of a possible kit and thoughts on them would be greatly appreciated. The main lens would probably be the 12 to 60 SWD which seems like a great general-purpose lens which also has the proper range for studio work. Then I would be going for macro and here I am not sure what to do since a 35 is a lot closer to the focal length I am used to (75mm equivalent) but I don't know how its optics compared to the 50 mm. the final lens being the new 9 to 18 that's coming out due to its light weight and the fact that I can use filters with it (which is one of the major thingsholding me back from going for the 7 to 14)
    edited July 11, 2008
    Seeing that you are a studio shooter. Here are some studio samples I have done with my Olympus DSLRs

224527245_pGdgW-L.jpg

154525430_fYwh8-L.jpg

154526739_gCHad-L.jpg

263991692_cMAbd-L.jpg

124316891_LGZsD-L.jpg