Street scape from Southbeach

goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited July 12, 2008 in Landscapes
I like the actual beaches of South Beach, but these are the evening shots I took on Ocean Drive. I like the Art Deco style with all the neon.

I hope you enjoy.

Mangos club on Ocean Drive. The scenery in front of the club is interesting as well, but the bouncers don't like you taking picture.
329592568_R5Kwe-M.jpg

A little closer
329592576_F5Ugc-M.jpg

The Colony Hotel
329592605_8fe4u-M.jpg

The Colony with the moon in the picture
329592618_mZgf7-M.jpg

More neon
329592627_kXodF-M.jpg

329592640_4LVDH-M.jpg

Versache's (sp?) house on Ocean Drive
329592655_bYvnw-M.jpg

From the beach
329592676_B3ViD-M.jpg

and the obligatory "Miami Ink" tourist shot.
329592541_xUX2p-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.

Comments

• veshmanveshman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2008
    Great night shots!!
    Hi, those are great night shots. What camera settings and exposures did you use for them? I love how rich they are and how they are not grainy!

Bhavesh
  • veshmanveshman Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2008
    Great night shots!!
    Hi, those are great night shots. What camera settings and exposures did you use for them? I love how rich they are and how they are not grainy!

Bhavesh
  • goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    veshman wrote:

Bhavesh

I actually took these with my old point and shoot. It's an older Canon G6. I've gotten so used to the DSLR that I don't use this one much, but it still takes a good picture (and travels easier).

Ok, on to the settings.

None of the shots used a tripod! No really, I just used newpaper stands and parking meters to set the camera on.

Exposures were anywhere from 4 to 15 seconds. Aperature was from f4 to f8 (max for this little camera). Iso was set to 50.

It was a windy night, so you can see a lot of movement in the palm trees. Not much has been done to these PP either. Just a little sharpening and some straightening.

Thanks for your comment.
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Very cool night shots thumb.gif
  • nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    These photos illustrate an important difference between DSLR's and point-and-shoot digital cameras: different focal lengths used to compose the same shot. The focal length used on a point-and-shoot might be 1/3 or 1/2 that used on a DSLR to compose the same shot. This greatly affects focal properties. For example, if your little camera is at 15mm and aperture F/4, then your hyperfocal distance is about 10 feet, meaning that anytime you focus on something much beyond 5 feet, all of the background will be in focus. I get this data from:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

If I put my shortest lense (28 mm) on my Canon XTi and set it a f/4, then my hyperfocal distance is 34 feet.