Options

Correct Tool in CS3

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited July 13, 2008 in Finishing School
I use Photoshop CS3. I took the following shot and as you will see all the unwanted spots on the top right of the picture. Can anyone please tell me the correct tool to use in CS3 to get rid of these.
Regards
Bob

329718541_Lc3Kg-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited July 11, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I use Photoshop CS3. I took the following shot and as you will see all the unwanted spots on the top right of the picture. Can anyone please tell me the correct tool to use in CS3 to get rid of these.
    Regards
    Bob

What do want there to be in place of the spots? There are different approaches one could take, including leaving it alone. The fastest is to simply crop closer. You could try cloning the left background over the right. You could also try using a fill layer and blending. Or using the Smudge tool. Lots of choices, but we're going to have to wait a while before PS has a "fix this" tool, I'm afraid. Pics like this require a strategy, not a single tool.
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    There is also the cloning tool or the healing brush. Or you could use a slight gradient fading upwards or to the left into a green that you would like. So, as you can see, there are numerous options here.

There is no such thing as a "best tool" in photoshop. Sometimes you'll use the cloning brush and sometimes you won't.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    Hope you don't mind, but I played with the photo and here you go!:D

329752151_torEj-X3.jpg
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    Hope you don't mind, but I played with the photo and here you go!:D

329752151_torEj-X3.jpg

Thanks Richard for your reply. I am absolutely thrilled with the way you have cleaned up shot. I always shoot raw so I will certainly have a go with the cloning brush. Many thanks again to you both for your kind help and advice.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Richard for your reply. I am absolutely thrilled with the way you have cleaned up shot. I always shoot raw so I will certainly have a go with the cloning brush. Many thanks again to you both for your kind help and advice.
    Regards
    Bob

I have tried using the Clone Stamp Tool but I am not getting the perfect background you have achieved. What size of brush , opacity and flow did you use. I am so so impressed with your result.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    Hi guys,

I'm at work right now so I don't have the settings I used. When I get home I'll check it out, but if I had to guess... I used a 35-40px brush with a hardness of zero (I usually keep opacity and flow at 100%). I selected a spot near the top lefthand corner as my source and then painted right across (from left to right). You'll have to play around with sources a little and brush sizes around the owl head.

When you are done, make sure you add random cloning in the area you've just fixed in order to make it so there are slight shades of green in the area you fixed so it is consitent with the rest of the background.

If you need help with the original, let me know and I can work something up for you. It really is a terrific shot!:D

P.S... My name is Will (although Richard is very distinguished as well!)

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    If you notice there is one slight halo I missed over the owls head. But that can be fixed up easily. Remember when using healing brushes and cloning tools that the larger you are printing the photo, the more care you need to take in order to perfect the healing technique. Flaws in larger photos are magnified!

This photo however, is easily corrected and you should have no problems. The secret is not focusing on the spots, but the background as a whole. By the way, notice that the bird is slighty sharper now, but not so much so, that artifacts are appearing? If there is enough demand, I will post a tutorial on my blog site about this. Firstly, "Cropping" is not and should not be the fix to a problem such as this. Your composition is stronger as it is. Secondly, the smudge tool is not a tool I would recommend here (especially with wildlife photos) as it can give your photo a very artsy look, not to mention too much of one colour. Layering and blending can be used, but I would not reinvent the wheel here. If the problem is severe lighting spots that the cloning tool has a hard time fixing because of the contrast in the background, then you could try setting a simulated graduated ND filter from bottom to top then using a cloning tool (works so well and is super easy... especially if you have Tiffen dfx!). Another way is to mask out the bird using the pen tool (you should always use the pen tool if possible for accurate masks) and then just good ole' guassian blur the background into a nothingness type green. I wouldn't recommend it though, as just about every other photographer tends to use a guassian blur to the point of a photo that looks like canvas.

I work as a cartographer, making large-scale maps (in my day-job!) so I have a good handle on the graphics end of software.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    If you notice there is one slight halo I missed over the owls head. But that can be fixed up easily. Remember when using healing brushes and cloning tools that the larger you are printing the photo, the more care you need to take in order to perfect the healing technique. Flaws in larger photos are magnified!

This photo however, is easily corrected and you should have no problems. The secret is not focusing on the spots, but the background as a whole. By the way, notice that the bird is slighty sharper now, but not so much so, that artifacts are appearing? If there is enough demand, I will post a tutorial on my blog site about this. Firstly, "Cropping" is not and should not be the fix to a problem such as this. Your composition is stronger as it is. Secondly, the smudge tool is not a tool I would recommend here (especially with wildlife photos) as it can give your photo a very artsy look, not to mention too much of one colour. Layering and blending can be used, but I would not reinvent the wheel here. If the problem is severe lighting spots that the cloning tool has a hard time fixing because of the contrast in the background, then you could try setting a simulated graduated ND filter from bottom to top then using a cloning tool (works so well and is super easy... especially if you have Tiffen dfx!). Another way is to mask out the bird using the pen tool (you should always use the pen tool if possible for accurate masks) and then just good ole' guassian blur the background into a nothingness type green. I wouldn't recommend it though, as just about every other photographer tends to use a guassian blur to the point of a photo that looks like canvas.

I work as a cartographer, making large-scale maps (in my day-job!) so I have a good handle on the graphics end of software.

Hey Will,
    I really appreciate you taking your valuable time at work helping me. I have done as you have said and I altered the settings accordingly and painted from left to right. I have made a reasonable job but it is not as good as yours. I was going to post you what I had done but Smugmug is down at the moment so I will send it later. I was unable to find the random cloning. You may be able to point me in that direction. I am sure Richard who replied first to my thread is well impressed with the result you have done on my shot. Although Richard is well experienced and no doubt he could have done the same. I admire and appreciate everything you have said in your last reply, Will, and I would agree with the cropping aspect and the guassin blur. I sure hope you do a tutorial as it would be a tremendous help to everyone. I took quite a few shots this week of Birds of Prey and I have posted a few on the Wildlife Forum. I rather liked this shot but oh those spots certainly spoiled it and I just knew someone would be able to correct the problem.
    Thanks Will, and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    No problem, just email me when your site is back up or PM me.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    No problem, just email me when your site is back up or PM me.

Thanks Will, I'll certainly do that. SmugMug is still down for posting shots.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Will, I'll certainly do that. SmugMug is still down for posting shots.
    Bob

Hey Will,
    Well this is my result following your instructions. It is a long way short of yours but better than the original I produced. I am well pleased. You might be able to tell me where to go exactly for the Random Cloning as after I had finished working on the shot I didn't know where to go exactly.
    Regards and thanks ever so much for your kind help which I really appreciate.
    Bob
    329840597_YWRhU-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    There is no "random cloning" tool in photoshop. You need to manually guage where to take the source of the cloning. I tried to stay with a dark green in most cases. It is tough to explain. Keep playing with the cloning and trying to mix the sources. Reclone the areas that look unnatural. Remember, something that is natural isn't perfect (thats really the key to making cloning look realistic).:D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    There is no "random cloning" tool in photoshop. You need to manually guage where to take the source of the cloning. I tried to stay with a dark green in most cases. It is tough to explain. Keep playing with the cloning and trying to mix the sources. Reclone the areas that look unnatural. Remember, something that is natural isn't perfect (thats really the key to making cloning look realistic).:D

Hey Will,
    I think I know what you are saying. I was referring to what you said earlier. "When you are done, make sure you add random cloning in the area you've just fixed in order to make it so there are slight shades of green in the area you fixed so it is consitent with the rest of the background."
    That was where I wasn't sure where to go and what to do if you don't mind me saying. I am thrilled with the results I have got from your instruction and I just cannot thank you enough Will. You have certainly put me on the right lines and I feel others will have appreciated what you have done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2008
    No worries. if I hadn't have told you, someone else would have!thumb.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    No worries. if I hadn't have told you, someone else would have!thumb.gif

Thanks for all your help and sound advice Will which I truly appreciate.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Here's my shot at it:

SmugMugFix copy.jpg

Method?

1. Selected a rectangular area of the upper left corner of the photo.

2. Did a Ctl+C and Ctl+V to create a separate layer of the selected area.

3. Moved the new layer over the area with the bright spots.

4. Did a Ctl+T to transform the new layer.

5. Dragged the layer out so it covered all the bright spots.

6. Used a soft brush to erase the parts of the new layer that were covering the bird's head.

7. Played with the blur and smudge tools, and opacity and curves to get the edges of the new layer to blend in seamlessly with the existing back ground.

8. Wallah! ... there you have it. Just flatten and save as a JPG.

I'm no expert at this stuff. I just make it all up as I go along and some efforts work out better than others and some fail miserably.

I'm sometimes inspired by Thomas Edison who once said, "I have never failed. I've discovered thousands of ways that do not work". :haha
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    Nice job!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed