1D MK2n owners: questions for you all.

faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 13, 2008 in Cameras
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a used 1D Mk2n. It should be here today, so I'll finally get to play with it and get to know the controls. I've been reading the pdf manual so I have some clue as to what I'm doing. What I'd like to know from you folks out there that own one is any tips or tricks specific to this body. I mostly shoot a lot of low light photography; bands, street at night, etc. Any info pertaining to low light shooting and to general camera settings for getting a sharp image with minimal post processing would be helpful. Before anyone mentions lenses, I'm already covered there. Everything I currently own is either f/2.8 or faster. All of them are L glass with the exception of my 50 f/1.4 and my Lensbaby 2.0. As far as what I've been shooting with prior to this camera, I own a 400D and a 20D. This is my first 1D series camera.

So...what do I need to know?

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought a used 1D Mk2n. It should be here today, so I'll finally get to play with it and get to know the controls. I've been reading the pdf manual so I have some clue as to what I'm doing. What I'd like to know from you folks out there that own one is any tips or tricks specific to this body. I mostly shoot a lot of low light photography; bands, street at night, etc. Any info pertaining to low light shooting and to general camera settings for getting a sharp image with minimal post processing would be helpful. Before anyone mentions lenses, I'm already covered there. Everything I currently own is either f/2.8 or faster. All of them are L glass with the exception of my 50 f/1.4 and my Lensbaby 2.0. As far as what I've been shooting with prior to this camera, I own a 400D and a 20D. This is my first 1D series camera.

So...what do I need to know?
    One, you will be very impressed with the low-light autofocus performance. Both in terms of accuracy and speed, and just how little light you need to actual lock focus.

There are a lot of AF options on that camera. The AF speed is a bit misleading and you will probably want it set to a somewhat slow speed. This doesn't mean it slows down the AF, what it means is it slows down how quickly it will change from one subject to another. This is useful, for example, if you are photographing that band or on the street and something momentarily gets inbetween you and the subject. A fast AF will rapidly focus on the new subject, and then when it goes away will rapidly focus back. With a slow AF it will delay a bit before attempting the new focus distance, which is usually helpful.

The next thing to learn is how all those focus pointers interact with each other.

There is a lot to learn just in those two areas.

As per getting sharp images with minimal post-processing, please remember this is a pro-series camera, not a consumer model. Consumers want sharp pics right out of the camera. Pros tend to want soft images that they later sharpen to their particular wants and needs. This camera won't sharpen as much as you are used to. The 1-series really isn't meant to be a "no post processing" camera.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 11, 2008
    The Canon 1D MKIIN is a fantastic camera and should do well in low light. Center focus point is most sensitive, so if the focus struggles with other points, rely on center only.

Manual focus may still be required for some of the more difficult subjects, and the clear bright viewfinder of the MKIIN is a benefit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Thanks guys :) In response to the sharp photos question: I was hoping to set one of the "my picture styles" or whatever it's called to give me sharp(er) jpegs. Sometimes it's nice to not have to do a lot of post processing. Especially with bands I see regularly. I try to shoot RAW for anything that's important, but if I'm just updating photos for guys I shoot once a month, then I'm not as concerned and I just want to get it done quickly.

AF points: I'll have to play around with it an see what works best. I just got it a few hours ago and Adorama kind of screwed me...they forgot the charger, and the earliest I'll be able to get it is Monday. Thanks Adorama thumb.gif They've really dropped the ball on this from the begining. No communication until I called and bitched, didn't ship on time, so they upgraded it to overnight shipping and now the charger isn't in the box. They've been good about getting things back on track and helpful, but jeez, come on guys!

I know I'm going to kill the battery before I learn anything Laughing.gif!
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Thanks guys :) In response to the sharp photos question: I was hoping to set one of the "my picture styles" or whatever it's called to give me sharp(er) jpegs. Sometimes it's nice to not have to do a lot of post processing. Especially with bands I see regularly. I try to shoot RAW for anything that's important, but if I'm just updating photos for guys I shoot once a month, then I'm not as concerned and I just want to get it done quickly.

AF points: I'll have to play around with it an see what works best. I just got it a few hours ago and Adorama kind of screwed me...they forgot the charger, and the earliest I'll be able to get it is Monday. Thanks Adorama thumb.gif They've really dropped the ball on this from the begining. No communication until I called and bitched, didn't ship on time, so they upgraded it to overnight shipping and now the charger isn't in the box. They've been good about getting things back on track and helpful, but jeez, come on guys!

I know I'm going to kill the battery before I learn anything Laughing.gif!

rolleyes1.gif

Those batteries last forever!

Since they are NI-Cads make sure you pay attention to the proper charging and discharging technique laid out in the manual...very important!

You are in a whole new world with this camera...and you will love it once you get used to the quirky controls.
  • faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Well, i bought two Delkin spare batteries since there was only one battery shipped with the camera, so I should be good for a day + of shooting easily. I finally got ahold of someone at Adorama and my charger should ship Monday morning.

There was enough charge left in the battery to play with it a little. I haven't taken a good one yet Laughing.gif! I see what you guys mean about the soft photos though. It's a quick fix with USM in CS2, so no big deal.

So...sharpening question: Is the softness of the images consistant? Can I set up a PS action to batch process all my MK2n photos or is it going to vary from shot to shot? That's probably a noob question, but I've never really used USM much. I know lens choice will have some impact on the sharpness, but what I'm interested in knowing is what camera settings will affect the sharpness. If I don't change anything except ISO, will I have to process photos at ISO 800 different from photos at ISO 100 or can I batch them together? Will camera settings other than the sharpness slider affect the sharpness of the shot?

It's amazing how much info ISN'T in the manual. You guys have already made a huge difference in my learning curve for this camera. I'm starting to get used to the controls. The hardest habit to break is not letting off the SELECT button while turning the dial. Scrolling through to review photos is a little annoying because I'm used to the 400D and the 20D. I'll tell ya though...old habits die hard. I STILL try to enlarge photos on the 400D by hitting magnifying glass and then the center SET button like on my Oly C8080. I haven't touched the C8080 in 18 monthsne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 13, 2008

So...sharpening question: Is the softness of the images consistant? Can I set up a PS action to batch process all my MK2n photos or is it going to vary from shot to shot? That's probably a noob question, but I've never really used USM much. I know lens choice will have some impact on the sharpness, but what I'm interested in knowing is what camera settings will affect the sharpness. If I don't change anything except ISO, will I have to process photos at ISO 800 different from photos at ISO 100 or can I batch them together? Will camera settings other than the sharpness slider affect the sharpness of the shot?

The concept of "one size fits all" and "one sharpening setting fits all" should be reasonably synonymous.

While I do tend to process many of my images from the 1D MKII in the same fashion, including how I handle sharpening, I reserve the right to use whatever technique the image seems to need.

Develop your own style and for non-critical shoots a single sharpening may work pretty well, but always do what's required by the situation and the image and how it moves you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums