My first newspaper photo credit!

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited July 13, 2008 in Sports
Kind of a nothing shot, but I did get the credit and made some contacts for possible work in the future.:thumb

323868580_ZTRc9-L.jpg

It was cropped down for the paper. I had suggested they use this one which I liked better... :dunno

323869652_zxwrg-L.jpg

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    congrats!

And I agree w/ you. The out at home shot is a great capture thumb.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    That runner's only out if it was a force play. I'll bet he beat the tag!mwink.gif

Oh, by the way wings.gifwings.gif Congrats!!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • onegearrussonegearruss Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2008
    Congrats on the publication. I remember when i got my first picture printed. Felt great to see your name under a picture that almost everyone in town will see. The out at home is a nice shot.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Thanks guys, it was pretty cool to open the paper and see it! :D

Yes, it was a force play. The bases were loaded with no outs and we got out of the inning with no damage.thumb.gif
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    If you plan on submitting pics in the future, they are going to want tighter crops than what you have. If you look at baseball, sports pics in major newspapers, most of them are cropped to feature the faces of the athlete. The play at home plate was probably not used because the catcher was in focus but you can't see his face. The runner is blurry but they couldn't crop closer on him. For plays at the plate, it's generally better to focus on the runner or even pre- focus on home plate so you can get the facial reactions of the runner.

The pitcher is sharper, has better crop potential and you have a good face shot.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    icebear wrote:
    That runner's only out if it was a force play. I'll bet he beat the tag
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks guys, it was pretty cool to open the paper and see it! :D

Yes, it was a force play. The bases were loaded with no outs and we got out of the inning with no damage.thumb.gif

thought so :D look how the catcher is reaching for the ball but keeping his toe on the bag and look where the ump is looking - right at the catchers foot.

DJ - glad your boys pulled it out. Those are the toughest innings to be sitting and watching.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Those are both great shots, congratulations!
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Thanks guys!

John, thanks for the info - I see your points.thumb.gif

I don't shoot for papers, I shoot for parents (and for fun) so that led to some of the decisions. For example, the pitcher shot was wide because it was part of a burst of his full delivery so I needed the room. I never really thought about shooting differently for different purposes, but you are right.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 13, 2008
    Cool, good onya Dave thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks guys!

John, thanks for the info - I see your points.thumb.gif

I don't shoot for papers, I shoot for parents (and for fun) so that led to some of the decisions. For example, the pitcher shot was wide because it was part of a burst of his full delivery so I needed the room. I never really thought about shooting differently for different purposes, but you are right.

I can see that. However, I find parents like to see their kids shot like picks in the paper. As good as low end camera are getting, parents and amateurs are shooting great stuff, but they don't crop properly. Post processing is like sculpture, you chisel away everything that is dead weight to the picture.

Also, if you get serious about this, try shooting while kneeling or sitting on the ground. Every parent with a camera will shoot their kids and the game while standing up. If you want your pictures to stand above the the rest, shoot below them. You will find newspapers will like that too.
  • ripbobripbob Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Congrats and best of luck!