My Goth daughter and partner

davecamdavecam Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited April 3, 2009 in People
This is my lovely daughter Sarah and her partner Andy. They're both softies really!

329840820_dc7HB-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Great shot and good licking kids thumb.gif
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great shot and good licking kids thumb.gif

I think that's a typo.....but funny.

Pretty clean looking for a Goth ;)
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Yeah, he's got twisted/fake dreads. He could change his hair whenever he wants. They also don't have all the make up on.rolleyes1.gif
  • davecamdavecam Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Yeah, he's got twisted/fake dreads. He could change his hair whenever he wants. They also don't have all the make up on.rolleyes1.gif

Do you have any thoughts on the photography?
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Very nice pic. Lovely light. Great clarity. I like the contrast between dark and light. But I keep thinking the subjects should be reversed? (Him on right, her on left.) I find my eye is not being lead across the faces, but being torn between the two -- almost as if I'm looking at two separate portraits. His features are 'sharper' then hers, and the shape of his face (as positioned) tends to lead my eye to the left. If he was on the right, the eye would be lead toward her face, which is rounder and (in that position) leads the eye back to the right.

Make sense?
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    I think the light is well balanced. Maybe more spot on the back of their heads? His goatee is lost a little bit too. The other side of his hair is lost in the black. I think the reflection on the off side of their faces is really smooth and clean.
    Color balance is well done.
    rolleyes1.gif It's goth to keep their heads down but I wish they would "chin up."
    This is a really well done portrait so I had to nitpick!! Nice shot!!thumb.gif
    edited July 13, 2008
    Thanks for the critique guys, it does make sense Xris, I think it would indeed be better the other way around. Cmorgan, nit picking is fine, these are the things I need pointing out so I can improve. I'm new to portraits and have just got some studio lights so I will keep practising!
    dave
  • omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    davecam wrote:
    Thanks for the critique guys, it does make sense Xris, I think it would indeed be better the other way around. Cmorgan, nit picking is fine, these are the things I need pointing out so I can improve. I'm new to portraits and have just got some studio lights so I will keep practising!
    dave

nice photo. what are the dets - equipment, exposure, light settings?

and why do you call him a partner? is he her l/t bf, fiance? what is a partner?
    edited April 2, 2009
    omonra21 wrote:
    nice photo. what are the dets - equipment, exposure, light settings?

and why do you call him a partner? is he her l/t bf, fiance? what is a partner?

This was taken a while back, I remember it was lit with a single softbox and a white reflector. a wall mounted flash with a honeycomb was lighting the hair from behind the subjects, slightly camera left, giving a slight rim light to the male face.

Camera was canon 40D with canon 24 - 105 L zoom. F8
    iso 100 (always) 1/125

Partner means boyfriend in this case.

Hope that helps.
    Dave
  • omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    davecam wrote:
    This was taken a while back, I remember it was lit with a single softbox and a white reflector. a wall mounted flash with a honeycomb was lighting the hair from behind the subjects, slightly camera left, giving a slight rim light to the male face.

Camera was canon 40D with canon 24 - 105 L zoom. F8
    iso 100 (always) 1/125

Partner means boyfriend in this case.

Hope that helps.
    Dave

Thanks. I always like to get the info of pictures I like - helps to improve :)
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I like it, but I think moving the reflector farther back or removing it altogther to get a higher key/fill ratio would have increased the drama and "gothic" feel of the image. Overall good work, though.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Goth? In this photo they make a beautiful Renaissance couple. Very nice looking twosome.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited April 3, 2009
    I like it, but I think moving the reflector farther back or removing it altogther to get a higher key/fill ratio would have increased the drama and "gothic" feel of the image. Overall good work, though.

Tim, you are quite right. The lighting is too flat. I took this when I first got my studio lights, if I was shooting it again I would not use a reflector at all.