Options

Hot Air Balloon Question

CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
edited August 4, 2008 in Technique
**Most likely asking in the wrong place**
Next week my mom and I are going on a hot air balloon ride.. and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for taking photos from above? I'm crossing my fingers that the weather cooperates! Anyway, advice would be fab! Thanks in advance!
"Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
-Marilyn Monroe

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    No problem! I've moved your thread to techniques were I hope people can help you a bit better.

Sounds like a great trip. I hope you have a great time and have photos to share with us here! thumb.gif

My favorite hot air balloon photos are from Susan & Grace's journey above Cappadocia, Turkey. They had a fisheye lens, which I would have done myself too, but I would imagine you can get creative with any wide angle.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 11, 2008
    I think you want a very wide angle lens on one body, and a modest 70-200 telephoto on a second body. Landings can be a bit rough, ( DAMHIK :D ) so be sure to protect them when descending.

17106263_ZZKLU-L.jpg

2848067_zm6Ak-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    What kind of camera will you be shooting with???

If it's a Nikon, their new 18-200 VR lens will do a phenominal job. If you want color....put it on a Fuji S3-S5Pro!

I would use a shutter priority providing you have enough light. If it's a sunrise or sunset flight, you should be able to get some spectacular shots.

Good Luck! Love to see the results!
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography
  • Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Here are some thoughts (if this is what you're looking for) ... take before and after shots of the flight prep; try to get the shadow of the balloon on the landscape; show the edge/corner of the basket in some of your photos - otherwise they may look like any other aerial shot; use the other balloons (if there are any) to add color.

How many in the basket? The baskets are usually broken into small compartments, so it can be pretty tight in there unless it's a private flight ... a corner or end spot will help with getting better shots (so don't try to board first). Usually they ask that you leave any camera bags, etc. behind ... no room in the basket; plus weight issue. Even in the summer, it can be quite cool at altitude.

You don't say where you're going ballooning ... it's a terrific experience, so I am sure you'll enjoy yourselves regardless of the destination.

Ballooning shots:

Oct 2007 - Cappadocia: http://eenusa.smugmug.com/gallery/4313256_cUrNw#253453754_kE8Ht

Nov 2007 - Charlottesville, Virginia: http://eenusa.smugmug.com/gallery/3855870_r3vrB#223216624_h9mqJ
  • Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    These are from an even here in Elgin last year. The weather was perfect.
    http://www.elginet.smugmug.com/gallery/2978291_GyoW6

These were the morning after the evening event. Again, perfect weather. We got to "chase" the ReMax balloon. What a trip!
    http://www.elginet.smugmug.com/gallery/2979551_EA9kA
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    How was it?

:lurk
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    So my mommy-o and I were supposed to go the 16th but we ended up getting stormed on, SOOO we're booked for mid September ne_nau.gif.. So the best is yet to come!
    -It is booked as an evening flight, just my mom, me and the pilot. And they encourage cameras, etc.
    -We'll be going above Saskatoon, Sk (not quite sure where we'll end up though!)
    -I only have a Nikon D60; I personally only have the 18-55mm kit lens for now, but I may have the opportunity to borrow a couple different lens' from my daddy-o and a friend. So crossing my fingers!
    So once we finally do get to go, and not get stormed on I'll be sure to post!
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe