Camera, lenses and heat

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited July 13, 2008 in Cameras
I usually take baseball photos at the local high school, the games usually starts at about 10:00 AM and ends about 3 or 4:00PM.
My question: I am located in Miami, FL. In the summertime the temperature gets very hot, after taking photos for about an hour in the sun, the camera and lens get sufficiently hot to be uncomfortable to touch.

Is there a possibility that either the camera or the lens may get damage due to heat?

Again, Thanks to everyone for any answers I may receive.

Joe
:scratch
www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    I've read lots of third hand stories but I have no direct experience with this. I'm interested in the answers as well as it does get quite warm here in the summer/fall.

I tend to avoid the problem by covering my rig with something to shade it. I don't know if it helps, but I do know that it doesn't hurt anything.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    This place is like the devils furnace in summer. I always take 5 or 6 lenses with me to sporting events & they sit in my black bag in the sun all day long....never had a problem with them in 3-4 years or either of my camera bodies. I would not leave them in a car that is in the sun here though. The cars will heat up here in summer beyond what i would expect any instrument to take.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 12, 2008
    Leaving any electronics in direct sunlight and high heat and/or humidity can be stressful to the electronics. If it's necessary and cannot be avoided that's one thing but I would not subject anything, including myself, to unnecessary conditions or extremes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    how about using Lens Coats? http://lenscoat.com/
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    how about using Lens Coats? http://lenscoat.com/
    They are for the photographers that read soldier of fortune..and the wildlife guys. Canons big tele's are white to reflect the heat...a coat over it will defeat the purpose.

A lens will take anything that a human can operate in.
  • Scott ElowitzScott Elowitz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2008
    gus wrote:
    They are for the photographers that read soldier of fortune..and the wildlife guys. Canons big tele's are white to reflect the heat...a coat over it will defeat the purpose.

A lens will take anything that a human can operate in.
    While I would agree with gus that the lens can probably take the heat, using a LensCoat would make the lens much more comfortable to handle. Contrary to what gus says, besides wildlife and sof guys plenty of sports photogs and photojournalist use them, thats why they are available in Canon White and Black.