37 - pens...window grate... neither?

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited April 21, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took these today... thoughts? Too simple? Not enough repetition? I don't often due random challenges but they seem pretty fun, and they give me something to keep busy with so I figured I'd try...

G2's
19974829-M.jpg

Grate Gazing
19974832-M.jpg

Comments

• aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Hmmm, I think the pens shot catches my eye more...maybe because of the detail of the pen tips...not sure.. The only thing that doesn't quite fit is the fact there is mostly back-lighting on the pens, so the ones on the lower right corner are hard to distingusih. It would help if it had a little direct or angled front lighting maybe....
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    It's a good start, but I think for the challenge the shots will have to have more strength.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    I'm definitly quite the amatuer at professional style photography, so those are all the lines of the types of responses I was expecting...

What I could really use is advice on how to improve.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 19, 2005
    Shima wrote:
    I'm definitly quite the amatuer at professional style photography, so those are all the lines of the types of responses I was expecting...

What I could really use is advice on how to improve.
    Agreed, to clarify a little more on "strength", a pretty simple one is composition. The focus of both your shots is right in the middle - this is BORING! :D Read up on some general photography and you'll find out about the "rule of thirds". The eye is much more please with photos that have the main focus on a third.

See what you can do with that.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Read up on some general photography and you'll find out about the "rule of thirds".
    I'm confused,headscratch.gif after reading some of your other post I thought you were all about "Breaking The Rules"rolleyes1.gif

I actually like the screen shot. Stare at it and things start moving. eek7.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    edited April 19, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    I'm confused,headscratch.gif after reading some of your other post I thought you were all about "Breaking The Rules"rolleyes1.gif

I actually like the screen shot. Stare at it and things start moving. eek7.gif
    yeah, but rutt said it well when he was describing another "rule-breaker"... you gotta know what the rules are if you're gonna break them (effectively)
    Erik

• melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Hi, Shima!
    Don't discount your amateur status - I think you have a good eye!

The screen could be really cool if you could see some repeating pattern thru the screen, blurred in the background. I can see those windows, but something bolder that draws you through the screen?

On the pens, it might have more impact to get a big ol' pile of them; like 20 or 30 (Target, etc, will love me for suggesting people play with their pen displays). Maybe play with the angle of the shot, too? Take it from the bottom row looking up, or on the diagonal. And maybe against a solid color background?

Just a couple thoughts. Looking forward to more posts from you.
    thumb.gif

~mel
    edited April 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, but rutt said it well when he was describing another "rule-breaker"... you gotta know what the rules are if you're gonna break them (effectively)
    Where's the best place to get information on the rules?

Also, DoctorIt - what's up with that avatar.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
    edited April 20, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Where's the best place to get information on the rules?

Also, DoctorIt - what's up with that avatar.
    1. almost any photography book will cover the rule of thirds and basic composition. I recommend something like John Shaw's Nature Photography.

2. it's me. I have my finger in my nose. it's funny... that and one of my best friends took the photo on a good day.
    Erik

• amangoldamangold Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I just wanna know whats on the other side of that screen?! I'm going bug~eye'd trying to figure it out!!

Good starts! (Further than I've gotten...) Keep looking for patterns..they're everywhere...

good luck!!!

Audrey
    Audrey Mangold
    :dunno not a clue...does it show?
    edited April 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    it's me. I have my finger in my nose. it's funny... that and one of my best friends took the photo on a good day.
    I got the funny part but I thought it was probably one of your friends and you had photo-chopped (ie Doctored) the photo and added a finger up his nose hence the handle "DoctorIt".

So much for my deductive reasoning.:D

Thanks for the book tip.

Greg
    Greg
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    A thin currently leaf less tree and behind the tree is the freshmen dorm that's connected to the all women's upperclassmen dorm I live in. Windows and brick of the side of the dorm. See it now? If you'd like I can take a normal picture of the dorm where I actually focus on the dorm itself tomorrow for reference ^^;
    amangold wrote:
    I just wanna know whats on the other side of that screen?! I'm going bug~eye'd trying to figure it out!!

Good starts! (Further than I've gotten...) Keep looking for patterns..they're everywhere...

good luck!!!

Audrey
    EDIT: And yeah, it was bugging my fiance out majorly tonight as he looked at it and just didn't realize what it was... I gave him the clue of "all of the pictures I've taken for this set were taken from inside of my room..." but I still had to actually tell him what it was before he realized it was Lankenau Hall.