grey market or USA for a valid warranty

mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited July 12, 2008 in Cameras
so before i buy something from B&H i had a question:
do i get a USA version or a Grey market version (Canon). I live in canada and i want to make sure that i will have a valid warranty just incase something goes wrong.
so which one should i get?

thanks
http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    I would always recommend a USA version over grey market......but where do Canadian cameras usually come from.....Europe??.......basically that is what a grey maket product was...it was a european version without USA warrnty so it had to ship back to the factory for warrnty work, not a USA factory Authorized repair center......if it were me I would ask B&H straight up and see whatthey say...............ne_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    so before i buy something from B&H i had a question:
    do i get a USA version or a Grey market version (Canon). I live in canada and i want to make sure that i will have a valid warranty just incase something goes wrong.
    so which one should i get?

thanks

If you want gray areas with your warranty, get the grey market version. If you want a warranty, get the USA version.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 12, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    If you want gray areas with your warranty, get the grey market version. If you want a warranty, get the USA version.
    That's probably good advice if you are living in the USA, but not necessarily a good idea elsewhere. B&H explains the difference here. If you have further questions, give B&H a call and I'm sure they will clarify your options.

Regards,
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Some first hand experience.

I have bought grey market gear in the US...had issues with it & canon didnt even blink an eye lid with a warranty claim back here in Australia.

Lens was fixed in 2 weeks no questions other than the sighting of my receipt. They didn't even want a copy of it.

• mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    i will ask B&H when i place my order but i think the USA version will be the best
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Interesting question.

Sounds like the imported version is the way to go for non-US cirizens then.
    Otherwise one woul dhave to ship to the US for a warranty repair, right?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Some first hand experience.

I have bought grey market gear in the US...had issues with it & canon didnt even blink an eye lid with a warranty claim back here in Australia.

Lens was fixed in 2 weeks no questions other than the sighting of my receipt. They didn't even want a copy of it.

i've heard others have similar experience w/ canon. which i have to say kudos to canon. unfortunately i've heard nikon does the exact opposite; if you don't have a USA market item, their USA offices won't even work on it if you send it in.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto