Options

Anyone gonna see The Dark Knight in IMAX?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I've heard it's better than the last one.

Here's the way it should work:

"In 2002, Imax unveiled its new DMR (Digital Re-Mastering) process, whereby 35mm and digital (24p) films could be blown up to Imax 15-perf/70mm film format. The format was possibly in answer to the outrageous practice of some commercial theatres running unmasked 35mm prints on their Imax screens and boasting "enhanced presentation." This was not only of poor presentation quality, but audiences going into the theatre expecting an Imax presentation were being sold a lie. Some theatres hyped that certain movies, like “Gladiator” (2000) were on the giant Imax screen. True, but the image from a 35mm was dim, grainy and only filled a portion of the large screen. At least with DMR prints, high-quality 70mm prints were struck using Imax’s proprietary software and stringent quality control."

There's an article in last months Wired about the movie. Apparently this is the first non-nature documentary to be shot entirely on IMAX 70mm film!! All the other theatrical releases that showed up on IMAX were reprocessed/crop/whatever had to be done to blow them up to the IMAX size. Dark Knight was done the opposite way!! Shot entirely on the 70mm and recropped to fit the smaller, traditional screen. Even so the article claims the the added layer of detail will still be noticable in your local theatre, but if you can see it in an IMAX theatre... well you decide for yourself, but I'm going tomorrow afternoon!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    In this age of 4K digital cameras, why would anyone shoot in 70mm? Why not shoot in 4k, and then render to 70mm?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I haven't seen it yet but I will see it at the Navy pier Imax were I here the movie was cut. It was shot in Chicago and I ran into the production crew a couple of times as they were filming the movie. I even ran into Gary Oldman once at a Dave and Busters. I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie in the city it was filmed. I've only heard great things so far and can't wait to see it myself.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 21, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    It was shot in Chicago
    I was wondering where it was shot.

Weird since they refer to Wayne Manor as being in the "Palisades"...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nightingale and I are going Sunday to the IMAX version in Indianapolis.

Looking forward to experiencing it.

I wish you would have let me know, a big bunch of us went sunday to the IMAX to see it!

The film was amazing (although I can't say it's better than Batman Begins), but I must be getting old.....the IMAX I went to (Kerasotes at I-465 & East St) had the sound up wayyyyy too loud, to the point of speaker distortion and jarring headache for hours afterward.:sick
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I wish you would have let me know, a big bunch of us went sunday to the IMAX to see it!

The film was amazing (although I can't say it's better than Batman Begins), but I must be getting old.....the IMAX I went to (Kerasotes at I-465 & East St) had the sound up wayyyyy too loud, to the point of speaker distortion and jarring headache for hours afterward.:sick

Funny you should say that because I felt the same way... The sound was waaaay too loud to the point I had a hard time enjoying the movie.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 23, 2008
    So I saw Dark Knight again today over at Century 21. Baldy, I think the IMAX version was brighter and better. I don't think you lose much, if anything, between the two side-to-side. The sound was better at C21. Not nearly as in your face loud and the mix was more to my liking. The opening scenes as well as the HK stuff in IMAX are much better full sized--they really add to the impact of those scenes.

C21's print was badly scratched.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    In this age of 4K digital cameras, why would anyone shoot in 70mm? Why not shoot in 4k, and then render to 70mm?

We're not quite in the days of 4K cameras yet. Almost all digital productions are shooting on the Viper or Genesis cameras, (2k) almost all DI suites (colour grading) and post production houses are setup for 2k (it's 4 times the grunt or 4 times slower to move to 4k) and you'd be hard pressed to find a cinema that has a 4k digital projector.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Lazarus-style, I went back and found a few more from the scoring sessions that I liked:

294472087_UnCqX-L-1.jpg

299963544_tPERK-L.jpg

299963740_HEUsk-L.jpg

299964629_SbB37-L.jpg