I need advise on a P&S camera...

TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited July 21, 2008 in Cameras
I am looking to buy a P&S small/compact/ultra compact type camera...

Sony is out of the questions because I don't want to spend $$$ on Memory Sticks.

I have SD cards, so anything that will take SD's will work...

The purpose of this camera will be to take photos where my "Big, huge professional" (that's what it was called yesterday) trusty D50 can't go.

I was looking @ the following:

Nikon CoolPix S550, S52, P80.
Canon PowerShot SD790IS, SD950IS
Pentax OptioW30, OptioW60

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
Miguel
www.kabestudios.com
I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro

Comments

• APKAPK Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:

Sony is out of the questions because I don't want to spend $$$ on Memory Sticks.

The purpose of this camera will be to take photos where my "Big, huge professional" (that's what it was called yesterday) trusty D50 can't go.

Thanks.

Canon G9clap.gif
    AlanPK
    Bodies: 5D, D60, G9,
    Lenses: 16-35L f2.8, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 85LII f1.2, 100 f2.0, 135L f2.0, 300L f4.0, 50CM f2.5 + LSC, 24 f3.5L TS-E
    Misc: 1.4TC, 580EX, MR-14EX
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Do you use wide-angle more or telephoto?

If you're using more wide-angle focal lengths. The Nikon S600 is better than the S 550 and it also has optical VR. Not to mention I'm making 16 x 20 prints from itdeal.gif
  • jackmacdjackmacd Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2008
    I use a Pentax W30 because it is waterproof, very compact, and no lens sticking out ever. Also cheap so if I lose it, so be it. Other than the usual shutter delay with all P/S cameras, it works well enough. I recently did an entire shot with it and was pleased with the low light capability if on a timer and placed on a shelf. It was my back up camera on a trip to Italy, but I never used it then. The images from any P/S camera are very good for the price and convenience. But noise reduction and color correction in Photoshop is helpful to make the photos work. Frankly, I would choose whichever had the least shutter delay. Web guides provide a guide to it, but I find shutter delay can really only be tested in a camera store. I didn't care as much about shutter delay as I needed waterproof more. If I can't afford shutter delay, I use a bigger camera.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:

If that's important, you might prefer a P&S that has manual control over shutter speed and aperture. Some of the ones you listed do not. It comes in handy when the P&S's auto exposure is just not doing what you want.
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Well... It won't be used for "work" work... more than anything, it will be used for "clubbing" photography (snapshots), so manual controls are not needed...

The main thing is that I went out on Friday to a couple of clubs with some friends that were visiting and at two of the clubs my D50 was not allowed because it was a "big, huge professional" camera...

I know some people at some clubs that have let me in with my D50... so some of my friends were kind of dissapointed that I was unable to take photos of them clubbing...
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 13, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:
    Well... It won't be used for "work" work... more than anything, it will be used for "clubbing" photography (snapshots), so manual controls are not needed...

The main thing is that I went out on Friday to a couple of clubs with some friends that were visiting and at two of the clubs my D50 was not allowed because it was a "big, huge professional" camera...

I know some people at some clubs that have let me in with my D50... so some of my friends were kind of dissapointed that I was unable to take photos of them clubbing...

I have to imagine that for "club" photography low light and high ISO should be a main consideration. Autofocus will probably be an issue in the conditions I have seen.

I do wonder about how well one of the smaller dSLRs would do, an Olympus or a Pentax for instance, with a "pancake" lens. The dimensions are not that much more than some of the larger digicams but you retain much of the versatility and control of a dSLR and that includes much better responsiveness and low-light performance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 13, 2008
    jackmacd wrote:
    I use a Pentax W30 because it is waterproof, very compact, and no lens sticking out ever. Also cheap so if I lose it, so be it. Other than the usual shutter delay with all P/S cameras, it works well enough. I recently did an entire shot with it and was pleased with the low light capability if on a timer and placed on a shelf. It was my back up camera on a trip to Italy, but I never used it then. The images from any P/S camera are very good for the price and convenience. But noise reduction and color correction in Photoshop is helpful to make the photos work. Frankly, I would choose whichever had the least shutter delay. Web guides provide a guide to it, but I find shutter delay can really only be tested in a camera store. I didn't care as much about shutter delay as I needed waterproof more. If I can't afford shutter delay, I use a bigger camera.

Jack, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    the canon g9 is an excellent camera. I have one and I think it complements my d300 very well. I have heard good things about the sigma dp1 also, but have yet to try it.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 15, 2008
    I bought a G9 and while I like it, it's not nearly as compact as say an SD870. The SD870 does have a degree of manual control and it's easily slipped into your pocket. And I think that makes it the winner for what you want from the camera.

Then again, most pocket cameras aren't that good at high ISO but for clubbing shots, this may not be as important to you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RandallPMcMurphyRandallPMcMurphy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    I love my Panasonic tz5. the 10x zoom starting at 28mm is nice and it's intelligence on "auto" mode is amazing.
  • FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:

I looked at a Canon Elph recently and liked what I saw. It does have manual settings and appeared capable of working low-light. Personally I love my Sony F828, and yes it is viewed by some places as a 'big camera'.
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I recently purchased a Canon G9 for the same reason you post. I needed a smaller camera that I could take anywhere and have it with me all the time. The G9 fit the bill by being small, yet powerful and it is the smallest camera I know of that can shoot raw.

I also picked up a LowePro Rezo 50 camera bag that is a perfect fit for the G9. I slip it on my belt and the camera disappears until I need it.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Fuji finepix F30
    TexPhotog wrote:

Thanks.

Fuji finepix f30, compact, inexpensive and great low light camera. Perfect for clubbing or other shots taken in low light situations. Fits in your pocket, won't empty your pocket.
    Tom C
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • LizardRanchLizardRanch Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    TexPhotog wrote:

...I was looking @ the following:

I have the OptioW30 which I use for really wet places, like rappelling through a waterfall (canyoneering) or whitewater kayaking. It does OK for what it was designed for, but I'm thinking its more of a toy. It is ultra compact and nice to just stuff anywhere. When you want to take something and have no space but a small pocket, this works well.

One thing that constantly bugs me about it is that it only has the screen for composition, no viewfinder. Granted the mini viewfinders in P+S cameras don't give you the whole scene, but having to constantly squint and hold out the camera in front of you is no way to compose a shot, especially outdoors in the sun, but also in low light club situations. I wish the Optio had one of the vestige viewfinders for nabbing shots with one hand.

If you are using the camera in wet environments like me, the Optio is your only real choice (housing a camera won't fit in your pocket) but if your environment is not as severe as mine I would look for one with a small viewfinder. I realize that in these days where you can easily crop your photo this may not be a popular opinion, but I like to be able to nab that one shot that I can compose quickly without having to refocus my view from scene to screen. Nothing makes me laugh like watching zombie like photographers with arms outstretched pointing the camera at a subject as if they were the dawn of the dead ready to attack.

While not an ultra compact, I own a Canon A640. I believe they make a smaller version. The Canon A series uses AA batteries, nice when you have forgotten to charge the proprietary battery and have to grab a battery from the Seven Eleven. The A640 uses 4 AA, but I believe they make a smaller version that uses only 2 AA. If you want ultra ultra compact you'll probably have to go with proprietary batteries, I don't know of any that use AAA.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I have the Canon Elph SD200 (old one, 3MP) and I love it. Look at upgrading that one to the newer version SD1100IS 8MP. The photos are nice (this review based on the 200) and color reproduction is great. The camera is very slim and is metal case. I've had mine for over 3 years now and it works great still - 1 hot (red) pixel on the sensor is the only problem, and trust me when I say I have not babied this camera.

I also use the Panasonic Lumix LX2 which is larger and has the lens sticks-out issue but it can shoot in full manual and almost everything on it is a hard swich (as opposed to digging through menus). It also shoots in RAW mode which can be useful. ISO up to 1600 I beleive.

I'm looking at moving from the LX2 to the G9, but reluctant because I just love the switches for quick changes and I don't like menus on small cameras. The LX2 is also the only still that has a native 16:9 chip for shooting in panoramic mode (or using for scouting locations for films).
    ~ Lisa