Options

Need help with a shot!

GrimisGrimis Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited July 13, 2008 in Technique
Hey guys I'm new to the site and have a question.

I have a Canon 40D and I am having problem's with a shot. I am trying to do a low light photo and the camera isn't letting me do a long exposure. Can you guys post a few form photo's of really low light soft photo's? Also the settings or recomondations on where to start with the setting's. I am new to the digital realm and usually just set a shoot but the Canon won't let me. Thanx in advance.
You're Only Limited by your Imagination :scratch

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Welcome to d/grim grims. I have moved your post to 'technique' so more people see it.

First up you mentioned that photo is an example. If its not yours would you mind removing it & just inserting the link as we only post our own photos here...a link is fine. Let us know if you dont know how to do it & a mod will do it for you.

A long exposure isnt what your after...lighting is. Its very hard to talk to you about it when you dont understand it. A longer exposure wont change your light other than let more in.

Maybe set the camera to ISO 100 & the control to AV. As you then then close the aperture down...the exposure time will extend. Personally i think if you want less light then you need to remove more light from the photo.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    Yes I understand it quite well, the problem I am having is the candle light is not in the frame and is a distance away I am shining the candles through a series of shapes to get the shadowing the way I want it and the pics are coming out too dark. I was asking what others setup's were for a shot similar to that one which I found on google and was a public photo. Sorry I didn't realize the site was really strict on photo's. Anyway thanx for the advice.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 13, 2008
    Grimis wrote:
    Yes I understand it quite well, the problem I am having is the candle light is not in the frame and is a distance away I am shining the candles through a series of shapes to get the shadowing the way I want it and the pics are coming out too dark. I was asking what others setup's were for a shot similar to that one which I found on google and was a public photo. Sorry I didn't realize the site was really strict on photo's. Anyway thanx for the advice.

If the pics are coming out too dark you need some combination of wider aperture, longer exposure time and higher ISO. Just like in the film days. A very long exposure is not likely to work with a person, as some motion is inevitable. You should also be shooting with a tripod to avoid camera motion. I would boost the ISO to 800 or so and open the lens up wide in Av mode and see what speed the camera chooses, then adjust the settings as needed. You should also be metering in partial or spot mode if you want a largely dark background with a light figure as the subject.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    Thanx Richard that's what I was trying just now. I think a few more test shots and I'll get it.