Family Portraits

JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited July 14, 2008 in People
Here is my first attempt using a portable studio. Thoughts?
fam.jpg

Comments

• CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    I like the conversion,
    I'm not a pro with lighting but it looks alright from here..
    The one think I noticed right away were the wrinkles in the bg.
    You should invest in a portable steamer, they work wonders.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    I like the conversion,
    I'm not a pro with lighting but it looks alright from here..
    The one think I noticed right away were the wrinkles in the bg.
    You should invest in a portable steamer, they work wonders.

Thanks, great idea with the steamer. Ill start looking around
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    you have good sense of BW. Yes, i agree with BG wrinkles but i don't really believe its your first attempt thumb.gif wonderful.
    edited July 14, 2008
    super star wrote:
    you have good sense of BW. Yes, i agree with BG wrinkles but i don't really believe its your first attempt thumb.gif wonderful.

Thanks for the comments .mwink.gif It definitely was a fun shoot, and a great learning experience.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    If you don't have a steamer [rather cheap from a home store or a dept store - worth a buy] or if you don't want to buy one you can dampen your sheet/ bg in some cold water or with a spray bottle and zap it in the dryer for about 10 minutes and quickly hang it up full length somewhere - no folds - full length hang. OR!!! You can run the shower on hot and pin/tie/attatch the bg/sheet to your shower curtain rod and leave the shower on highest hot running for about 15-25 minutes and then go in and turned off water and leave the door shut [no vent] for about 1/2 to 1 hour and then go in and smack all the wrinkles out.

I personally use the second method on just about anything because Ironing is not my friend.
    edited July 14, 2008
    If you don't have a steamer [rather cheap from a home store or a dept store - worth a buy] or if you don't want to buy one you can dampen your sheet/ bg in some cold water or with a spray bottle and zap it in the dryer for about 10 minutes and quickly hang it up full length somewhere - no folds - full length hang. OR!!! You can run the shower on hot and pin/tie/attatch the bg/sheet to your shower curtain rod and leave the shower on highest hot running for about 15-25 minutes and then go in and turned off water and leave the door shut [no vent] for about 1/2 to 1 hour and then go in and smack all the wrinkles out.

I personally use the second method on just about anything because Ironing is not my friend.
    Thanks for the great hints! They will difiintly come in handy in the future!

However for this situation (and more like it hopefully) its not very practical.
    Basically Ive assembled sorta a studio in a box. Ive got 2 650w , 3 Backdrops, Backdrop stands, light stands, and every other little thing in a single box. I'd like to be able to just grab the box, and travel to any location and be setup in a matter of minutes. Of course a few things hold me back.
    1. Im still learning, this was my first attempt at such a thing.
    2. I need more practice and more people to shoot :)

looks like the steamer might be the best option, but still a bit time consuming, Ive tried a few but they always seem to take forever, and never really work. Any one have tips on a good model to get?
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    As far as proper toting and wrinkle free fabrics you can't beat any of the polyester fabrics or a high % blend. Ployester rolls and folds nice and with a little water on your hands you can just smack them down. If you just lay the fabric on top or leave it on a bolt/roll you won't have any troubles. It's cottons and silks/sateens will always wrinkle and need the steamer and various methods for treatment. Little portable steamers can do a nice job in a pinch, but need electricity. A batt powered one might be available in this day and age.mwink.gif
    If nothing else a few minutes in the sun with some weight at the bottom [like a big pack of clothes pins] can weight down the fabric while the sun dewrinkles it. Or just sew in a heavy border to the bottoms of your bgs. Magnets make pretty good weights and so do strings of beads.