Nikon: Planning on a long tele and winning the lottery

jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
edited July 20, 2008 in Cameras
I have been considering getting a longer telephoto. While I love my 200-400 F4 VR, I could stand some extra reach and would like a prime to fill that void.

While I am leaning towards the 600 F4 VR (or maybe non), I had read a post awhile back by Harry saying he liked the versatility of his 500 f4 much better which perked my interest.

Besides being cheaper, and much lighter which are both "pluses", I am interested in performance or flexability related topics.. Not in someone suggesting "buy both" though that would be pretty darn sweet if I really did win the lottery!

fyi - I use a D3 (possibly a 2nd soon) and mostly shoot auto racing and other types of auto events were vehicles tend to move rather quickly. :thumb

..and yes I did a few searches which helped a bit, but I haven't posted in quite awhile and at least wanted to say hi. Hi! :wink

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 13, 2008
    In this class of lens renting before purchase can make a lot of sense.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    In this class of lens renting before purchase can make a lot of sense.

www.borrowlenses.com thumb.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Gary MayoGary Mayo Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2008
    jww wrote:
    I have been considering getting a longer telephoto. While I love my 200-400 F4 VR, I could stand some extra reach and would like a prime to fill that void.

While I am leaning towards the 600 F4 VR (or maybe non), I had read a post awhile back by Harry saying he liked the versatility of his 500 f4 much better which perked my interest.

Besides being cheaper, and much lighter which are both "pluses", I am interested in performance or flexability related topics.. Not in someone suggesting "buy both" though that would be pretty darn sweet if I really did win the lottery!

fyi - I use a D3 (possibly a 2nd soon) and mostly shoot auto racing and other types of auto events were vehicles tend to move rather quickly. thumb.gif

..and yes I did a few searches which helped a bit, but I haven't posted in quite awhile and at least wanted to say hi. Hi! mwink.gif

Thanks!

I shoot a 500mm f/4 P IF ED. The manual focus is not going to work with autoracing, but I can tell you the lens will reach out and grab stuff.

I also have a 300-800mm Sigma and those can be purchased for less than a big Nikkor VR. Something to think about.
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Appreciate the suggestions. ...still looking for insight from some folks that have used either of these AF-S beasts.

I've rented the 500mm before locally, but haven't seen the 600 anywhere offhand to rent, even at Borrowlenses.com.

Sorry if this makes me sound snobbish, but I am really not interested in non Nikon lenses.

I am mostly just musing about a future lens purchase... Maybe a bit more info would help.

Currently my 200-400 VR is really sweet and the 500 I have rented prior to that was as well. However, I am thinking I would rather have the extra reach of the 600. That being said, I was curious if there was something else to consider besides it costs much more and is much heavier. thumb.gif

Hope this makes sense.. otherwise just ignore me as I dream of large heavy glass pointing at quickly moving cars.

Thanks!!
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    600mm?
    I think 600mm is maybe a little long for motor racing,especially with a crop camera.

It's use is usually confined to wildlife, surfing,ski jumping etc when you have a small subject a long way away.I sometimes use one for architectural details etc and wildlife.

For motorsport would try out a monster 400mm/f2.8-that wide aperture gives nice separation of subject from background and it's why it is the most widely used by sport photographers.You will need a monopod at least to manage the weight of this.They are rentable.

If that's not long enough then try the 500mm/f4.0-it is not so long that it can't be handheld and will be more versatile.

A 300mm/f2.8 could also be very useful,especially on a crop camera, and for closer shots consider either 180mm or 200mm
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    gtc wrote:
    I think 600mm is maybe a little long for motor racing,especially with a crop camera.

It's use is usually confined to wildlife, surfing,ski jumping etc when you have a small subject a long way away.I sometimes use one for arhitectural details etc and wildlife.

For motorsport would try out a monster 400mm/f2.8-that wide aperture gives nice separation of subject from background and it's why it is the most widely used by sport photographers.You will need a monopod at least to manage the weight of this.They are rentable.

If that's not long enough then try the 500mm/f4.0-it is not so long that it can't be handheld and will be more versatile.

A 300mm/f2.8 could also be very useful,especially on a crop camera, and for closer shots consider either 180mm or 200mm

Hmmm... interesting thoughts.

I was thinking longer as I picked up a D3 and was considering trading or selling off my 2 - D2hs bodies for another D3. The first race I shot with the D3, I tried shooting in crop mode and had some great results with the 200-400VR f4, but it was a bit hard staying in the crop area on some shots and started shooting full frame the last few events. Maybe I will rethink that, but I will tell you.. if you do fill the frame in full frame mode. ..simply amazing results. ...which is why I felt longer would be handy.

Part of my problem is my local track I do most my shooting doesn't have many great areas for shots close enough for 400mm in full frame mode and some not even in DX mode. ..even though I have full access. Now others I travel to.. lots of nice photo ops and a 400 2.8 would be sweet.

I really appreciate your comments as it has given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks so much! ..and please.. if you any other thoughts I would most appreciate them.
  • kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Hi

If you are in the position to apply and qualify for "Nikon Professional Service". You can just borrow a 600 from their locker, I think it is free as well.

I am presently looking into the service myself. I have a couple of friends on the NPS plan, and they get gear from Nikon all the time....no charge.

Outside of that option? I shoot alot of birds, where I really do need a 600, for car racing, (which I know nothing about) doesn't seem like a 600 would be necessary. The only reason to get a 600 vr over a non vr, is the fact that the 600 vr's minimal focus distance is 6' closer than the non vr. This is a huge deal for bird photography.

Lets face it, how many times are you going to hand hold a 600? To me vr in that lens is pretty much useless.

Good luck, Shane
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    You could try the Sigma 300-800 granted it is f/5.6 but, it gives you a great range to work with. That is one of the lenses Im currently saving for. Also I have heard nothing but praise for the lense from owners.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/