Qingping Portraits - China

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited July 25, 2008 in People
I recently spent 2 weeks in Guangzhou China. I absolutely loved it. While there I did some street photography. Most of these were done around the Qingping market, a famous place for unique and affordable goods. Quite a fascinating place. A very poor area financially.
For those of you who don't know me - I am quite fond of producing black & white images. Here are a few of the shots. To see more visit my site here: http://www.jonathanswinton.com/gallery/5398799_7matT#330405119_9Sd3d

330397582_adxPS-L.jpg

330402537_BgFXT-L.jpg

330392989_oeuG8-L-1.jpg

330399794_xoCWt-L.jpg

330405119_9Sd3d-L.jpg

330398687_rWFcV-L.jpg

330394125_XosZz-L-1.jpg

330396219_L35D4-L.jpg

330393698_XJwZa-L-1.jpg

330394858_jrk4z-L.jpg

330403693_JzQB7-L.jpg

330401508_sznFT-L.jpg

330402075_e3XKK-L.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Wow
    Man i just enjoyed them very much !
    great photos and conversion
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 14, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    These are wonderful with #6 being truly outstanding!

Thank you for sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    These are wonderful pictures. The black and white helps to promote the emotion of the moment. I love the seond to last one, very profound and a great moment captured, even though it's sad if he was homeless.
    I would love to see you make a whole gallery of the faceless/turned faces of people you capture.
    Those are quite remarkable.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Thank you all for your kind comments!
    Awais - I have to admit I did think of you when I was in China. Your amazing images from around the world have always inspired me. So, I am really happy you liked my images!
    Thank you Richard & Virginia
    CMorgan - I think your idea is intriguing. I noticed that most of my images are not of people looking at the camera. It is a great idea - goes a bit against the norm, yet sends a really compelling message.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Beautiful imagery! You have some solid, thoughtful compositions here, and the decision to use monotones to subtract a date from them was a good one.

I am especially drawn to #4. I like the composition...that there is a nice feeling of depth to the scene. I also like the busy-ness that it holds.

I had a thought as I was getting in my car to leave Wal-Mart today. I glanced around and noticed all the other visible folks....caught up in the bubbles of their own world....very much disconnected from me and mine...and from each other. The scene in #4...although visually much different...is also much the same as my experience here today.
    edited July 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Beautiful imagery! You have some solid, thoughtful compositions here, and the decision to use monotones to subtract a date from them was a good one.

I am especially drawn to #4. I like the composition...that there is a nice feeling of depth to the scene. I also like the busy-ness that it holds.

I had a thought as I was getting in my car to leave Wal-Mart today. I glanced around and noticed all the other visible folks....caught up in the bubbles of their own world....very much disconnected from me and mine...and from each other. The scene in #4...although visually much different...is also much the same as my experience here today.

Thanks Jeff!
    I also really like #4. It is different from the others due to the inclusion of other people. Thanks for your comment!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Wow, wow, wow. You have a true talent for street photography - which is so difficult to do but I am really stunned. bowdown.gif

I can't say "excellent!" enough. Each one of these is a work of art and story in and of itself. Fabulous.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    These are wonderful with #6 being truly outstanding!

Thank you for sharing.

Virginia
    15524779-Ti.gif
    edited July 19, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow, wow, wow. You have a true talent for street photography - which is so difficult to do but I am really stunned. bowdown.gif

I can't say "excellent!" enough. Each one of these is a work of art and story in and of itself. Fabulous.

Thanks so much Schmoo! Your post made my day! :D
    Thank you also Dan.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Fabulous images Jon - I'm glad you finally had some time to sit down and process them!
    My favorite is the second to last one - interesting composition, unique mood. You always do a fabulous job with the monochrome conversions.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Great photojournalistic series of captures. Love the post as well. Congrats on some great photos!
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Well done, Jon. I especially like the picture with the woman on the bike, where you can see her surroundings, while she still very much gets the focus of the picture.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Great Photos!
    Thanks for sharing.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited July 25, 2008
    Thanks so much Cam, I also like the 2nd to last one :D

Thanks Marlof - I also really like the one with the lady on the bike. It is one of the most unique of the series I think.

Thanks also Steven & Chuck.