Options

So how do you all feel about the new theme?

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited July 22, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you think? A toughie? No worries? Let me hear it.

What if I told you that you were now playing for a quarterly final too? More details to come...:wink
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    new theme?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    zacker wrote:
    new theme?

Yeah, THIS ONE
    Emily

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Ahhh i see... thanks!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    What do you think? A toughie? No worries? Let me hear it.

What if I told you that you were now playing for a quarterly final too? More details to come...mwink.gif

It's a tough theme. Those who invest literally thousands of dollars in lenses are not about to compromise the quality for which they paid by putting an inexpensive piece of glass in front of it, and those who are purists (meaning what we see is what we want to give to you) disdain the idea in general.

With that said, however, there are reasons and renderings possible for filters. But one must seek out the perfect subject with the final result in mind.

I'm glad we have two weeks to figure it out!
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    I FEEL good about it.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    It's a tough theme. Those who invest literally thousands of dollars in lenses are not about to compromise the quality for which they paid by putting an inexpensive piece of glass in front of it, and those who are purists (meaning what we see is what we want to give to you) disdain the idea in general.

With that said, however, there are reasons and renderings possible for filters. But one must seek out the perfect subject with the final result in mind.

I'm glad we have two weeks to figure it out!

Great points. Remember though, this is not selling your soul and ruining your reputation. This isn't asking you to change your style or your personal preferences. It's just asking you to use filters, on camera or in postprocessing for one image. Try something different, get out of your comfort zone...HAVE FUN.
    Emily

• Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    My only worry is, that there are only a few filters that produce strongly recognized results (IR, ND, GradND)
    Others like warming, cooling, color, star, polarizer aren't quite as distinct.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    My only worry is, that there are only a few filters that produce strongly recognized results (IR, ND, GradND)
    Others like warming, cooling, color, star, polarizer aren't quite as distinct.

True. There is a discussion going on in the "General" thread with regards to that. I am very willing to read supporting info (what filters you chose and why). I am also willing to view a link to an image "without filters". Don't get too hung up on how obvious the filters are (and remember, Photoshop filters, etc. do count here). Just make your shot amazing and use your filters intentionally for appropriate subjects and scenes. Easy, right? mwink.gif
    Emily

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    It's perfect timing, I'm finally getting a DSLR. I can use on wed so I will definitely be having some fun
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Does using an IR mod'ed camera count? ne_nau.gif

It does have a filter, but it's a permanent one.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    aktse wrote:

Then I don't see a problem =c) go crazy
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    True. There is a discussion going on in the "General" thread with regards to that. I am very willing to read supporting info (what filters you chose and why). I am also willing to view a link to an image "without filters". Don't get too hung up on how obvious the filters are (and remember, Photoshop filters, etc. do count here). Just make your shot amazing and use your filters intentionally for appropriate subjects and scenes. Easy, right? mwink.gif

Don't worry I'm planning on using the most filterest of the filters (IR). But I think I might try to experiment with filters that aren't filters at all (colored glass, sunglasses etc.)
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Don't worry I'm planning on using the most filterest of the filters (IR). But I think I might try to experiment with filters that aren't filters at all (colored glass, sunglasses etc.)

thumb.gif
    Emily

• Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    It's a great theme this time, *almost* makes me wish I weren't judging ;) I could actually break out the old Cokins I've had packed away for 20 years! Looking forward to seeing what everyone can do with this one.
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    I'm up for it. Granted its going to be tough to come up with something without going overboard. Can't wait to see what everyone does with this challenge.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 14, 2008
    Ok...I would like to clarify because I am really excited about this challenge if I can do something like what you find in most of my digital art galleries (not the one listed as no photo art). Please take a peek at a couple of them and tell me if this type of work is what you are talking about.....or is it too much of what your looking for.

http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/Art

Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    aktse wrote:

Yep.
    JAG wrote:
    It does have a filter, but it's a permanent oneOk...I would like to clarify because I am really excited about this challenge if I can do something like what you find in most of my digital art galleries (not the one listed as no photo art). Please take a peek at a couple of them and tell me if this type of work is what you are talking about.....or is it too much of what your looking for..

Yep. No borders though.
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    It's a great theme this time, *almost* makes me wish I weren't judging ;) I could actually break out the old Cokins I've had packed away for 20 years! Looking forward to seeing what everyone can do with this one.

Yeah, I know, right? I plan to shoot for the theme anyway. All this judging and no shooting is making me rusty. :D Now, the prizes I'm rounding up for the quarterly final are really making me tempted to ditch all this and play...:wow
    Emily

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    Ok...I would like to clarify because I am really excited about this challenge if I can do something like what you find in most of my digital art galleries (not the one listed as no photo art). Please take a peek at a couple of them and tell me if this type of work is what you are talking about.....or is it too much of what your looking for.

http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/Art

Thanks for your time.
    ne_nau.gif I don't see why not. They did say that Photoshop filters were OK. mwink.gif

Those galleries are LOVELY! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008

Yep. No borders though.

Soooo cool! This is gonna be fun. Now....what should I shoot?:lynnsite ...hhhmmmmm
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    ne_nau.gif I don't see why not. They did say that Photoshop filters were OK. mwink.gif

Those galleries are LOVELY! clap.gif

thank you!:D
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Have to say I wouldn't have guessed that this sort of theme was in the works. Recovering from the initial "huh?!", I think it's a good idea.

I belong to the group who occationally goes raving mad and stacks a whole bunch of filters in front of the lens, starting with a split-ND the wrong way up.

There's also a couple of techniques I haven't managed to try out yet, this might be just what the doctor ordered to get those tested :D

See? You've got my mind bubbling away faster than my morning porridge. :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    All photogs used filters. ...especially those working in black and white.......there was no way to get all the contrast and dynamic range of a scene without it or without using filters in the darkroom.......and in the color world there was no other way to get certain shots without the use of filters...again....filters are used for every single photograph that has ever been printed.....all enlargers and auto photo printers have to use filters to render the colors, contrast and dynamic ranges on all photographs......:Dthumb.gif

This could be interesting.....as I just found, hidden at Borders Books Issue 69 of Digital Photographer.......The MasterClass for that issue is: Camera Filters: Discover how camera filters can help improve your shots with ease.........Hmmmmmm clap.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 15, 2008
    Now, the prizes I'm rounding up for the quarterly final are really making me tempted to ditch all this and play...:wow
    Ha ha. Nice try, but it's too late: you go, the challenges go!!! deal.gif

Loving the discussion here thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Em

I Love It...Got a couple of filters I can play with, and if that doesn't work....Hmmmm Photo Program will come into play...lol

I sense CREATIVE, ARTISTIC is gonna be keyword here...ahhahhhhhaaaaaa

DDonna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    headscratch.gif

I definitely need practice with this. I'm in. mwink.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    I sense CREATIVE, ARTISTIC is gonna be keyword here...ahhahhhhhaaaaaa
    Donna
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Challenge entries
    For anyone new out there, you can post previews for peer critique. Just start a new thread and post your possible entries there if you wish to have feedback. This can be an awesome learning tool. You can also change your entry in the entry thread at any time up until the closing time as well. Of course you can also choose to keep your entry a secret until the last minute. However you want to play is your prerogative.

Please remember that the closing time for the contest is always 12:01 on Monday morning. That's a minute after midnight Sunday night, OK? Leave yourself time for posting issues. Also know that if the thread is still open at 12:02am or after and you post at that point, it will be deleted. Just wanting to give you a "heads up" on that one.
    Emily

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    umph.gif that is 12 eastern, correct? i think i missed the first contest because i thought i had til 12 my local time, and well needless to say the entry thread was closed....so enter early:D
    Aaron Nelson