Options

Photo Commenting: What Am I Missing?

Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited July 15, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've been a Smugmug user for a few years now, and generally love the service and I'm constantly recommending it to others.

But...

The commenting system seems really, really weak, unless I'm missing something really obvious (I sure hope I am!). I have my albums set to disallow anonymous comments , which means people have to register to post comments. OK, fine. And I have to approve the comments before they go live - not a problem given the low number of comments I receive. But why isn't there a notification system for posted comments? Something to tell me that there's a comment waiting in the moderation queue. Having to manually drill down into the control panel to see if there are comments is something I rarely, if ever do - and as a result I'm seeing comments posted more than month ago.

Is it on Smugmug's radar to dramatically improve the commenting system? I know Smugmug isn't trying to be Flickr, nor do I really long for that type of community around my photos, but it would be great to see some improvements made in this realm. I'd love to see a system similar to WordPress where the first comment is held for approval, and subsequent comments go live right away. Comments, including comments held in moderation, should be sent to the account owner via email. That sort of thing...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
The Blog: www.jasondunn.com

Comments

• Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Try this -- you can set up to be notified that you have received comments.

"You can receive email notifications anytime a new comment is posted on your site. Here's how: Go to your Control Panel, click the Settings tab, and then click the change link next to the words "mail preferences". You will find comment notifications on that page."
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    eenusa wrote:
    Try this -- you can set up to be notified that you have received comments.

Aha, so I was missing something! :D Thanks for the tip - that does help with the notification part of it!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 14, 2008
    You can also approve or delete comments directly within the gallery itself.

So if you have it set up for email notifications, just click the link from the gallery and approve/delete there.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    I just happened to get a few comment notification emails. I noticed that they link to the single image view, and the comment doesn't appear at the bottom (the "add comment" button shows up though). Is that just me? Comments show up normally in the smugmug style.

Example: http://pilotdave.smugmug.com/gallery/5389126_jYGjw/11/331185017_cydMk/Medium
    (though i'll probably delete the comment at some point).

Thanks,

Dave
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    I just happened to get a few comment notification emails. I noticed that they link to the single image view, and the comment doesn't appear at the bottom (the "add comment" button shows up though). Is that just me? Comments show up normally in the smugmug style.

Example: http://pilotdave.smugmug.com/gallery/5389126_jYGjw/11/331185017_cydMk/Medium
    (though i'll probably delete the comment at some point).

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

This is a new bug we've noticed and the sorcerers are on it! thumb.gif