Options

500mm Auto Focus or Manual?

whamilton101whamilton101 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 20, 2005 in Accessories
Ok,

i'm about to purchase the Nikon 500mm lens f 4.0.
There's a huge money difference between the auto/manual focus lens.

I'd much rather save a few thousand and get the manual focus. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of auto vs. manual?

thanks

www.screensurge.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Ok,

I'd much rather save a few thousand and get the manual focus. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of auto vs. manual?

thanks

many folks buy this lens for birding, wildlife, and sports. for any of these applications, autofocusing ability would be critical imo deal.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 19, 2005
    I shoot with the 500mm from Canon. AF works very well birding and on the
    surfers--these are moving targets and I doubt it would be easy to MF on any
    target moving like either of these subjects. And DOF being what it is, if you're
    not right on the money, forget it. Get the AF. You won't be sorry.

What do you plan to shoot with it?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    I do alot of big wildlife shooting in Kenya, i own the 300 AF and it's fabulous.

I'm getting ready for a week long wildlife shoot in Yellowstone at the begining of may and i'm looking for a lens with a bit more punch to it.

I'm just itching to get a new lens...but i'm afraid the manual focas may be a waste of money.

wh

www.screensurge.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 19, 2005
    I do alot of big wildlife shooting in Kenya, i own the 300 AF and it's fabulous.

I'm getting ready for a week long wildlife shoot in Yellowstone at the begining of may and i'm looking for a lens with a bit more punch to it.

I'm just itching to get a new lens...but i'm afraid the manual focas may be a waste of money.

wh

I shoot wildlife with a Canon 500 F4 L IS and can't imagine shooting without AF.. Just finding birds in the air, let alone focusing on them can be challenging. I suspect AF will capture 5x more crisp images with the 500mm than you will with manual focus. Conservatively!
    For an experiment - take your 300AF and but a 2x telextender on it - now turn off the AF, and try shooting birds in flight.

Close ups of birds in flight require VERY precise focusing. I KNOW I would blow shots like this without AF. 600mm ( 300+2x) f 6.3 ( almost wide open aperature max is 5.6) 1/800th
    19878140-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Ok,

thanks
    Go for the AF its well worth the money. When I first got my 300mm/f4 lens I tried it out with my Sigma 2.0 TC which meant I got the extra reach but lost AF. It was brutal. Unless I nailed the shot exactly (about 1 out of 3) it was delete city. I didn't even try to nail a moving target.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Thanks a bunch guys. I'll pass on the manual and save up some more pennies for the auto!

wh

www.screensurge.com
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Buy the best and you only cry once!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 20, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Buy the best and you only cry once!
    true dat!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?