Senior US Open

Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited July 18, 2008 in Sports
I just got Media Credentials for the US Senior Open in Colorado Springs. I'm woundering how I can sell these photo's to papers or magezines. If anyone could help please email me . Thanks

Scott Davis

ScottDavis.smugmug.com
Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Scott293 wrote:
    I just got Media Credentials for the US Senior Open in Colorado Springs. I'm woundering how I can sell these photo's to papers or magezines. If anyone could help please email me . Thanks

Scott Davis

ScottDavis.smugmug.com
    Scott....welcome to d/grin. I would ask you not to use colours as it make your threads almost impossible to read for most.

How have you landed in the situation of getting such a pass without knowing how to sell them. Sorry but thats the first thing that comes to my mind.

I would expect that you would not be allowed to sell them given the magnitude of the event. I know that photos here of the top end race teams belong to the team & cannot be sold unless under a lic agreement with the team/individual.
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    gus wrote:
    How have you landed in the situation of getting such a pass without knowing how to sell them. Sorry but thats the first thing that comes to my mind.

Not to mention, how to shoot them. I browsed a few of the Little League galleries, and most of the photos are either soft, OOF, or underexposed.

I'm curious, as well, how he got the gig.
  • Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Sorry I Asked
    Well after looking at jims galleries I don't feel so bad. Most of the baseball games were between 7:oo and 9:00 pm so the lighting is not that great. And as how I got the Gig is by some one I know that is giving me this Opportunity
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Scott293 wrote:
    Well after looking at jims galleries I don't feel so bad. Most of the baseball games were between 7:oo and 9:00 pm so the lighting is not that great. And as how I got the Gig is by some one I know that is giving me this Opportunity
    Scott i seriously doubt you would be allowed to just sell them off without some agreement with the teams/officials. Im sure there are others in here that do events like this will be able to help. I wouldnt try selling without someone pointing you in the right direction as you may well approach a media outlet that has some strong affiliation with pro photographers.

Thats certainly a lucky break you have been given.
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thank You
    Thats the reason for this thread in the first place, and mostly these are just for me but thought I'd try the papers in Colorado while I was there thats all
    Scott Davis

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Scott293 wrote:
    Thats the reason for this thread in the first place, and mostly these are just for me but thought I'd try the papers in Colorado while I was there thats all

If you have a laptop, you will get a better response from papers in your area if you can email a few back. Local papers will staff the event themselves.
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thank You
    jonh68 I guess I worded my first question wrong thats all I was looking for was to get a few photos in the paper for credit more than anything. And yes I do have a laptop thats what I use for Equine shows. Thanks again for our responce.
    Scott Davis

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Scott293 wrote:
    jonh68 I guess I worded my first question wrong thats all I was looking for was to get a few photos in the paper for credit more than anything.

Scott, I'm going to ask you to reconsider. In the end, it's your decision. This is a very sore subject with a lot of working pros. People who are trying to earn a living selling their work. More and more people like yourself are willing to give away photos just to get credit in the paper. In the end, that hurts the industry. It's more prevalant for sports because there are just so many hobbyist sports shooters. Not too many hobbyist wedding shooters giving away wedding photos.

My purpose here is not to restart the debate. But you're relatively new to the site, so I just wanted to bring this other side of the coin to your attention. Something to consider. In the end it is absolutely your choice to do as you please.

Have fun!
    edited July 18, 2008
    I understand!!!
    Thats the last thing I want to do, I'm glad you responded the way you did. What I don't understand is about selling my work. If I'm hired by the PGA than I can see where there might be a contract on the photos, but since I'm a freelance photographer I look at them as mine. Plus I'm shooting for the broadmoor who is hosting the event. As in giving away my photos for the credit is for my resume but I do see what you mean and by know means do I want to hurt was is tough enough as it is!!
    Scott Davis

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Scott293 wrote:
    If I'm hired by the PGA
    The U.S. Senior Open is governed by the USGA, not the PGA.
    edited July 18, 2008
    Sorry
    Sorry for the misquote the USGA I was reading some thing about the PGA at the same time my bad.
    Scott Davis

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Scott - the reality is it's going to be very, very difficult to sell your work after the fact for a professional sports event. If an outfit is willing to pay for photos they've already got a photographer there (freelance or staff). Unless they don't care normally but there's some newsworthy story - in which case they'll use an AP photo.

That doesn't mean you can't use a couple of the best shots in a portfolio to gain future work. But if you want paid work your best bet is to look for it ahead of time. Even papers that use freelancers rarely deal with random freelancers. They usually have several they have a history with. So trying to get in on a one-time thing is very difficult to do. Remember they run a business - and it's tough to have different independent contractors for every event - so they want a small group of people they know can deliver.

My advice - enjoy the event, take and share some great shots. And, if you're really interested in money as a freelancer, take a portfolio of work (containing subject matter the outlet normally uses0 to various local media outlets.

Just my opinion.
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks
    Opinion well taken and that what this is all about a portfolio and just thought what if and it got out of hand. Thanks for all the input!!

Scott Davis

• hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I learned something here as well... thanks good post... USGA not PGA... lol
    No really I've been wanting to get better and when I'm up for it I am going to attempt to move to a more professional level... Maybe someday! I'm a long way from there now. I currently do freelance stuff for a motorcycle racing paper. The only way I get things into the main news paper is if there is room and they are feeling generous. I don't get paid by the paper, but do get paid basically by the track I am reporting at. That ultimately is not cash, but product or service, since I ride it works out.

Have fun and good luck with the golf! Sounds like fun...
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
    http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb