Options

Pt 4: of 5 weeks in Vietnam - Hoi An

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited August 6, 2008 in Journeys
Hoi An is the tailoring capitol of Vietnam! Every shop will make something for you, be it clothes, shoes, bag, bed linen... it goes on.
Its also one of the oldest towns in Vietnam and apart from getting flooded every few years has some of the oldest building in Vietnam as well.
Its mainly a bike town as well since cars are not allowed on most of the roads through the town centre.
Everyone says walk around, get a feel for the tailors before picking one...Nope! this is my girlfriend at the shop next to our hotel, already getting measured up!
269230072_XzNpj-L.jpg

One of the larger streets around town
269230019_i2sy8-XL.jpg

Nestled between a tailor and a wood worker's shop is a 12th Century pagoda
269233985_uRSTm-L.jpg

A fancy window inside the pagoda.
269523457_3XouW-M.jpg

No trip to Hoi An isn't complete without visiting the markets, plus to visit the temples you should be dressed appropriately, so no bare shoulders!
269526924_csRmt-XL.jpg
Bartering for a t-shirt to cover up!

269530063_tkazQ-L.jpg

They might be down on street traffic, but there is no problem bringing your scooter through a busy market place.
269530410_aRES2-XL.jpg

269536358_6BgyE-XL.jpg

The waterfront near the markets
269539926_Qqk68-XL.jpg

And back to the tailors :scratch 18 hours after being measured up, Flick has a whole new suit and she's one happy camper
269546851_g9EBm-XL.jpg

Another highlight of Hoi An is a trip to the temples of My Son.
The bus drops you at the entrance and from there you jump on old army jeeps for a trip through the jungle to the temples.
269551861_EHDXD-M.jpg

269559816_VkJQP-XL.jpg

269564625_muoJP-XL.jpg

269563081_WDXrX-XL.jpg

From the temples it was a boat ride down the river and back to Hoi An
269567076_xs2om-XL.jpg

Local fishing boats
269567167_nqhXz-L.jpg

I just loved the 'facilities'
269583997_P3eeW-M.jpg

Last one from the boat
270080936_C87s8-M.jpg

At night the town lights up with lantern shops you never really notice during the day...:rofl
270081748_X8gdo-M.jpg

270081909_aPykr-L.jpg

The following day, while my girlfriend went off on a cooking course I did some panning shots of what you can carry on a scooter.

You can go solo
270093223_9AEM2-L.jpg

Or triple
270093425_ocsR7-L.jpg

Or carry stuff over your shoulder
270097591_qsNYY-L.jpg

Or maybe get the missus to hold the 'trailer' for you!
270097284_y85nu-L.jpg

And a parting shot from our favourite family tailoring business 'Diem Diem'
270152183_exQXd-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, hopefully it inspires a few to travel to this amazing part of the world.
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    What an interesting trip. That guy sure is brave riding a scooter one handed with that long pole.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Yeah the pole guy takes the cake, Nice panning!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    There were quite a few guys carrying building materials of various shapes and sizes.
    Thanks for the comments thumb.gif
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Great shots, thumb.gif Thanks for the tour.
  • Options
    isaacarusisaacarus Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2008
    i definitely know what you mean when you talk about the crazy stuff that some people carry on their scooters.

in bali about 3 years ago and we saw a man carrying a huge bundle of brush/fine sticks probably about 2m long by 1m thick sideways on his scooter, of course it would happen to be on a tiny road wouldnt it thumb.gif

back in the main centre of kuta we frequently saw scooters with more than 2 people, at one point we saw one with a man driving, a woman behind holding a baby, and a baby between dads legs sitting on the shopping they had put into the footrest area:O
    Its absolutely crazy and rather hard to get used too, but they never seem to crash ;D
    its also rather different having no traffic lights or roundabouts, just roads that essentially meet together, yet somehow, literally thousands of scooters, some cars and occasionally some big trucks too traverse them every minute without any incident, mind you there is a LOT of tooting, but again... no crashes :D
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    what a great series, thank you for sharing these cool shotsclap.gif

loved the moped panning shotswings.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2008
    isaacarus wrote:
    i definitely know what you mean when you talk about the crazy stuff that some people carry on their scooters.

in bali about 3 years ago and we saw a man carrying a huge bundle of brush/fine sticks probably about 2m long by 1m thick sideways on his scooter, of course it would happen to be on a tiny road wouldnt it thumb.gif

back in the main centre of kuta we frequently saw scooters with more than 2 people, at one point we saw one with a man driving, a woman behind holding a baby, and a baby between dads legs sitting on the shopping they had put into the footrest area:O
    Its absolutely crazy and rather hard to get used too, but they never seem to crash ;D
    its also rather different having no traffic lights or roundabouts, just roads that essentially meet together, yet somehow, literally thousands of scooters, some cars and occasionally some big trucks too traverse them every minute without any incident, mind you there is a LOT of tooting, but again... no crashes :D

Thanks both for your comments.
    I think the most we saw on this trip was 4 on a scooter, but my last trip to Thailand they were up to 5 on regular occassions.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    These shots really take me back to my days living in thailand in the mid 60's, esp. the water and street scenes and the wonderful markets. The similarity between the countries is striking. Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories! I really need to get back there some day.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Really great...thanks for sharing!