Brothers

jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited July 15, 2008 in People
I'm still trying to find my style. Here are two portraits I took recently. I like them but I can't decide if that is because these are my friends or because they are good photos. Probably the former.

331546467_c5C4x-L.jpg
This is a poised portrait in front of a window with a paper shade. I'm used a SB600 on camera with a home made ABBC attached.

331545171_wdips-L.jpg
He is playing Wii Golf... really concentrating on a hard putt. There was natural light from windows camera right and again I used a SB600 with ABBC. I like this shot more than the first because even though there is significant PP, it isn't all that noticeable.

Please tell me what you think (even if, especially if!, you don't like them).

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    What I like is the lighting (esp on #2). You have some real possibilities with that setup...

But their expressions left me puzzled until I went back and read that they were playing wii (and then I understood all too well- my DH is the golfing king and I get water penalties all the time, lol...)

I think you are getting somewhere, but it would have been better to either have their attention, or at least show what is going on to put some context to their unusual expressions. Make any sense to you?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    I like #2 so much more:
    • Light in #2 is much better and more flattering. It's softer and from a better angle.
    • Eyes in #1 just throw me
    • The look of concnetration in #2, to my mind, really adds to the photo.
    In all, I think the first one is not so good. The second one is a decent portrait. I think I might want to see model's head a little less centered - maybe put it in the upper right of the frame?
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I can see what both of you are saying. I haven't learned yet how to separate photographs I like for the content from good photographs. I get lucky sometimes and the two categories overlap... but it still very much luck for me when it happens.

I have a bunch of pictures of them playing Wii with the wiimote in frame to give some context to the picture. If any of them are good, I'll post them here. Most of the shots are them with their backs to the window though so I'm not I don't think the lighting will be as interesting