Before, and After

Lissa79Lissa79 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited July 15, 2008 in People
Here are a few shots I did. The first one of each set is untouched. The second of each set is post processed. I am still very new to digital post processing, and photography period for that matter. I am using photoshop elements, and have noone to teach me how to use it. So I'm slowly figuring out a few different things on my own. Anywho, I was pretty proud of what these looked like after, what do you think? C&C very welcome!!

100_2755.jpg

vintage2.jpg

100_2756.jpg

vintage.jpg
Lissa Gail:wink

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    PP: you way overdid the blacks/contrast, need to be gentler on the curves.
    Composition-wise: plus-size females usually look better if photographed from above other than from below...Try it sometimes, you will like it:-)
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Lissa79Lissa79 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    PP: you way overdid the blacks/contrast, need to be gentler on the curves.
    Composition-wise: plus-size females usually look better if photographed from above other than from below...Try it sometimes, you will like it:-)
    HTH

That's just the thing. I don't know how to be gentler on the curves. To be honest, I can't figure out how to adjust the curves on PSE. I can adjust the levels, which i'm pretty sure is the same. Anyway, I'm not going to beat around the bush. I really have no Idea how to do this, right now I'm just playing with it. I seen a tutorial on how to make the Vintage/Retro effect in PS, which is what I was trying to do using PSE. But still have Soooooo much to learn, and really need to take some sort of class to learn the programs.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Hi Lisa, first of all, i think you did a good job in PP at the level of your knowledge, i can see complete difference. I'm rooting for you to learn everything about PP and photography in general. I think if i were you, i would learn photography first, processing second, because ones you have a good photo, processing should be a snap. Both of your photos have good composition, but they are overexposed! That's where you need to start, learn how different settings on your camera effect the outcome, play with it, don't just fix pictures, make sure they are well done before they go into PP. The less PP you do, the better photographer you are.

As far as all the effects, that's my friend, is just a novelty. :D

Keep on shooting and learning, hope to see more of your work!! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Lissa79Lissa79 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Hi Lisa, first of all, i think you did a good job in PP at the level of your knowledge, i can see complete difference. I'm rooting for you to learn everything about PP and photography in general. I think if i were you, i would learn photography first, processing second, because ones you have a good photo, processing should be a snap. Both of your photos have good composition, but they are overexposed! That's where you need to start, learn how different settings on your camera effect the outcome, play with it, don't just fix pictures, make sure they are well done before they go into PP. The less PP you do, the better photographer you are.

As far as all the effects, that's my friend, is just a novelty. :D

Keep on shooting and learning, hope to see more of your work!! thumb.gif

Thank you. And you are very right. I need to learn alot about the camera. Right now all I even have is a point and shoot Kodak Easyshare z612. Am planning on upgrading to a DSLR very soon. So, i'm making the best with what I have. And like I said, I am very new to this all, but it is my passion and will stop at nothing until I have it learned. Which I know, I know, I will be like the energizer bunny and just keep going, and going, and going....Laughing.gif....Because new to this or not, I can already see that learning photography will be never ending being that there is so much to learn, and so many different types, and techniques to pursue. But I am more than willing to become an energizer bunny!!!....Laughing.gif
  • tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Lisa, I agree with the others. I like your composition, and I am a fan of higher contrast photos, but this does look like a bit much in my opinion. Also your 2nd edit, the color balance looks off a bit to me. A little too much green. You should be able to adjust that with the color balance tool (I'm pretty sure that it is available in elements). I learned and am still learning PS the same way forums, tutorials, and most of all just experimenting. Looking good, keep it up.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com