Options

Free white balance + highlight recovery plugin- looking for input

glennchanglennchan Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 21, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,

I am developing a free plug-in for white balance + highlight recovery. The plug-in lets you white balance an image by drag-selecting a neutral area to eliminate the color cast. It will also recover highlight detail that is normally clipped and discarded by the white balance process.

So it's: (1) faster (2) lets you recover highlight detail.

Download page for the free white balance + highlight recovery plugin

Some specific feedback I'm looking for is:
A- Does it crash, are there bugs?
B- For some images, the normal tools (and this plug-in) can't perfectly white balance the image. Do you notice this? Should I research how to make a plug-in that would let you perfectly white balance an image? (I suspect it's due to cheap consumer cameras cheating the digital signal processing and introducing non-linearities into the image. But I'm not sure because I haven't tried it yet.)
C-Any other comments or suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
My blog on color correction. | My freeware Photoshop plugins (they also work in Paint Shop Pro X2, Elements, and IrfanView).

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Plug-in installed and working for me (Vista 32Bit, Photoshop CS 3.0.1). I need to run it on a lot of images before I give any feedback on the quality.
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Plug in installed. Windows XP SP3.

Initial test: Great!
  • Options
    glennchanglennchan Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. It's released and up. The only change is that the PC version build 001 had some of the sliders accidentally reversed; otherwise there are no changes.

I'll probably make a free tint/toning plug-in next.
    My blog on color correction. | My freeware Photoshop plugins (they also work in Paint Shop Pro X2, Elements, and IrfanView).