Found: 80-200 f2.8 L AF/MF switch

faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 16, 2008 in House of Canon
So, I bought a used "magic drainpipe" and it's missing the AF/MF switch. If anyone has a broken 80-200 f/2.8 L they'd be willing to sell the switch from or loan it so I can make a mold off it, I'd appriciate. Honestly, I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment since I just bought a body and several lenses, so a loan would be great.

I have mold making & casting experience. The process doesn't harm the original part. If I had one for a reference I could probably machine a replacement part for my lens.

If no one has one, maybe someone could point me to an exploded view of this lens or photos of the AF/MF switch?

Comments

• scottgee1scottgee1 Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    faust0matic, some questions if you don't mind:

1. How much does Canon charge for the part? Or is it an "assembly"? If you get to the right person in Service, they may be willing to fax/PDF you the parts diagram.

2. Did the seller disclose that the switch was missing?

3. If it's locked in AF, can you live with it for a while that way? Or do you prefer to focus manually?

Best of luck with it!/ScottGee1

So, I bought a used "magic drainpipe" and it's missing the AF/MF switch. If anyone has a broken 80-200 f/2.8 L they'd be willing to sell the switch from or loan it so I can make a mold off it, I'd appriciate. Honestly, I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment since I just bought a body and several lenses, so a loan would be great.

I have mold making & casting experience. The process doesn't harm the original part. If I had one for a reference I could probably machine a replacement part for my lens.

If no one has one, maybe someone could point me to an exploded view of this lens or photos of the AF/MF switch?

• faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Canon doesn't support it anymore. It's just the plastic switch that I need. Yes, the seller disclosed that it was missing. The lens is used and abused, but works great, so I'm not complaining. I've made a wire clip to hold the AF switch interal bits together so it will focus the full range from 1.8 meters to infinity, but I'd rather have the switch in place so I could use manual focus on the rare occasions that I need it. I knew what I was getting before I paid for it. The lens is sharp and the glass is clean. I paid $350 for it, so I'm not crying...that's half off of a KEH "bargain" lens and about $500 less than a pristine one that would do the same job this one is doing. I just figured I'd see if anyone had one sitting around they'd be willing to loan.

Mold making is part of yet another expensive hobby and I'm a machinist, so if I had one to measure, I could make my own replacement part and have it installed at the local repair center.
  • faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Switch Found :)
    Thanks to acs55812 I now have a switch on it's way clap.gif

I can't say it enough: THANK YOU :)

Cheers,
    Joe