Options

Amusement Boardwalk, at night....lense? (d300)

RandallPMcMurphyRandallPMcMurphy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Technique
Will my 18-200 be OK for shooting an amusement boardwalk (lots of neon/lights) at night? Or would you go faster. I'm planning on picking up the nifty-fifty, just curious if that would be a better lense to use so I can pick it up before the weekend.

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I have a D300 with a Sigma 18-200. The VR (OS) does work very well I find with stationary objects, but perhaps people might be blurry. Of course, I've found that with the 50 1.4, I can trade ISO values for ap values so Where I'd had to use values of 3200 I can back that down to more manageble levels. Might be helpful for people.

If you are going to pick up the lens anyway, perhaps take both? I do that. The 50 just isn't wide enough for me (since its like an 80 something telephoto on the D300)

I just got the 50 and its amazing. However, for me, I find that I wish for the Sigma 30mm when doing many things. For me, for a 1 or maybe couple of people in the frame, the 50 is good. But I find that the 30 might be better for larger groups, landscapes, etc. I could move back, but most of the time I find myself rather close to people and I have to move back, which isn't always an option (busy streets, more people get in the frame, etc) To fix this problem. I think I'll get the 30 too.

Dont get me wrong. The 50 mm seems astoundingly sharp and with its low light performance, I'm actually looking for anything I can shoot in the dark.
  • Options
    RandallPMcMurphyRandallPMcMurphy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    thnks I picked up the 50 today, and will take both along and see what I come up with!
  • Options
    Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Be sure to use a tripod. Farris wheels look cool if you slow it down a bit.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    thnks I picked up the 50 today, and will take both along and see what I come up with!
    Nifty fifty would be great for close up shots, like faces of people and other elements. It will not be as good to shooting street scenes that might require wider view. This lens is specific to portrature.

I have 18-200 Nikon, and it's a great walk-around lens. It works well untill darker hours comes in. Depending on how your camera ISO works, if it produces a lot of noise or not, you will need to bump up your ISO, which i don't really like to do, because my camera would produce noisy image. But it's a good lens to take and shoot, usually this is my lens to take whenever i go to shoot for fun.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8