Options

Oregon's Southern Coast..Not Dialup Safe.

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
edited July 18, 2008 in Journeys
As some of you know, I'm pretty big on the whole motorcycle thing. And what better way to spend a few days than in Southern Oregon?

I packed up and left on Thursday for a ride North. A little over 600 miles to the town of Yachats, Oregon. On my way out of town, little did I realize this would be as cool as it would be...looking back at the Golden Gate Bridge.

331713215_tM6de-L.jpg

For the most part, this is territory that's been covered. Hence very few pix until I decided on this one in Willits, California. Did I mention it's been over a hundred degrees since about San Rafael?

331713497_wqXo9-L.jpg

I love riding. It's like you're immersed in your journey. Same way as when you're hiking or riding a bicycle. You can't help but be involved.

331671187_aTdsb-L.jpg

The redwoods. Wow. Magnificent. Even the dead ones.

331714003_Bhtp7-L.jpg

Pretty soon, I was on the Oregon Coast. A site to behold. If you've not been, I can't recommend it enough. If you've been, you know what I'm talking about.

331714837_Z8G6f-L.jpg

Back on the bike and North. In areas I haven't been in a while, I often get caught looking. Riders will know what this means--for you non riders, it's when you're not paying enough attention to operate the motorcycle. So it's safer to slow down and enjoy the roses (so to speak).

332130159_hVsni-L.jpg

A few miles farther up the coast, I stopped for a look see and found this nice little picnic spot. Complete with a view and a place to rest the dogs.

331671922_GSHGC-L.jpg

Eventually, I arrived in Gold Beach. Deciding to stop, I found myself a place to stay and then took a walk to dinner and a view of this bridge. It was designed and built by a French architect and was the first bridge of it's kind built in the United States.

331715113_VCcuP-L.jpg

The next morning, I left for the remaining miles to the sleepy hamlet of Yachats. It's not too much farther up the coast and with the scenery, it would take a few hours for me to reach the place. With views like this, how could you not want to stop?

331453575_eomYe-L.jpg

All along the coast are Tsunami warning signs. This thing is the siren they'd use to advise of an impending big wave.

331452951_4QAEt-L.jpg

Just a little farther up this road to my camping spot for the next couple of days.

331673569_Cz3n9-L.jpg

My slice of heaven on the farm :thumb

331679608_3bMdL-L.jpg

Now the reason I'm even in Yachats is to celebrate, with a 100 or so of my friends, David's birthday.

331724505_eNxZU-L.jpg

We call him Raindog over on advrider. If you'd like to know what that's all about, visit www.raindogs.com and read the about page. It's a commercial site just so you know.

David arranged for entertainment. A bluegrass band, Whiskey Puppy, played on Friday night. Man, what a great group of musicians.

331725632_Hy9qc-L.jpg

We had a fire. It wasn't small.

331726145_zjuza-L.jpg

The next day, I took some time to visit Cape Perpetua and the Heceta Head Lighthouse (which I took a tour of).

A view from the Cape.

331727025_UjQsR-L.jpg

Some of the native plants along the trail to the overlook.

331456676_LnMM8-L.jpg

The lighthouse has been around a few years and is in good condition. At least as good as something that's over 100 years old.

331463085_pv5P5-L.jpg

Modern electric lamps have a mechanism that allows a redundant lamp to be swung into place should the need arise.

331462430_zE2Xw-L.jpg

Circled by Hounds was the evening's entertainment. They are an Irish band. Also very good. Tim Hull and Casey Neill rounded out the evening with folk music.

331729989_Adw3S-L.jpg

Nimbus lives on the farm. He's got an owner but is his own dog. Part wolf, I could see how this is.

331675584_3Pkea-L.jpg

More fire and good conversation.

331454672_JCfBZ-L.jpg

All too soon, it was time to pack up and head South and home. Time well spent with friends new and old.

It sounds all sappy but parting is such sweet sorrow. I look forward to another meeting soon.

My journey home was down I5. Somewhat boring, it was made a tad tedious by the heat and smoke from the California wild fires. Here I am heading home.

331467714_8kuZZ-L.jpg

One of the last shots I took was of Mt. Shasta. Normally an ominous looking mountain, it lies hidden behind a screen of smoke.

331468040_p9jAW-L.jpg

A little over 12 hours in the saddle before arriving home.

It was a great trip and as I said earlier, great to see my old friends and nice to meet new ones.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    eek7.gif

How do you take photos while riding a motorcycle? eek7.gif

That chick in the Irish band has dirty feet. Maybe I should try hitting Oregon when i hit Seattle.. only by car since I can't ride a motorcycle! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2008
    eek7.gif

How do you take photos while riding a motorcycle? eek7.gif

Pretty simple. I keep the camera on a lanyard and tucked in my pocket. When I want a picky, I pop it out knowing if I need to, I can drop it and it won't go anywhere.
    That chick in the Irish band has dirty feet. Maybe I should try hitting Oregon when i hit Seattle.. only by car since I can't ride a motorcycle! :D

Well, you should hit Oregon. It's got a lot to offer. For example; Crater Lake and the coastal areas.

The gal has dirty feet from playing Frisbee in the grass with some kids. I thought it was pretty funny too. She had such an angelic voice and she could play the fiddle too.

Thanks for commenting!
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Great photos Ian. thumb.gif

I love the Oregon Coast. I think Bandon is one of my favorite places in the world.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thanks for the comments Dan!

I agree. It is one of the great places to go.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Nice trip & shots mate. I so much wanted to see the bridge in fog when i was in SF.

Does the Tsunami warning system still work ?
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    The Tsunami stuff still works though there was a time when people "forgot" about the impact one can have on the coast :)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 18, 2008
    "parting is such sweet sorrow..."

I know what you mean. Even the sillier little advrider get-togethers are always a good time - a simple weekend can feel like a week and leaving always sucks.

good trip mate thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 18, 2008
    "parting is such sweet sorrow..."

I know what you mean. Even the sillier little advrider get-togethers are always a good time - a simple weekend can feel like a week and leaving always sucks.

good trip mate thumb.gif

Oh, and nice to see you dragged the adventure out. It must be hard work keeping all the horses ridden properly!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]