Going to Order 17-40L f/4

2»

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I don't know about the one you ordered but my 17-40L came with the hood so I'm not sure why you would need an after-market hood ne_nau.gif

I talked to the Canon reps a couple months ago and they said don't use an filters unless it is for effect (such as CPL or ND), they strongly suggested against using any sort of UV/Haze filter especially on the L series lenses as it degrades the image.

I was always a UV/Haze filter girl and had one on everything. After talking to the Canon guys though, I decided to try shooting with one and the images are definately sharper without the filters. I always use the hoods (now) as the Canon reps were talking about how the hoods are there to help with flare but also to keep your glass safe. I have not had one scratch or ding on any lens. I think that is a heated topic, the filter issue, but just thought i'd throw it out there.

I DO however find that the B+W CPL and ND filters are very useful on both my 17-40L and my 70-200L, so you might want to look into at least a good CPL.

But that lens is not dust proof until you put a filter on it stated in user manual. Dust is my major concern i hope HOYA won't degrade picture quality. I can buy fake filter for only 10$ going for expensive one just for that sake !
    And that lens is my investment of life cannot let it ruined due to dust :cry

Any way thanks for response
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    But that lens is not dust proof until you put a filter on it stated in user manual. Dust is my major concern i hope HOYA won't degrade picture quality. I can buy fake filter for only 10$ going for expensive one just for that sake !
    And that lens is my investment of life cannot let it ruined due to dust :cry

Any way thanks for response

Yeah, I think you are making the right decision then. THe picture quality shouldn't degrade enough to really notice with a good Hoya filter. Definately if you are in a really dusty place all the time its better to have something to protect everything.
    ~ Lisa