A few from the past coupl os weeks

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited July 18, 2008 in Holy Macro
***Warning*** Spider eating a fly's eye a few images down.

ID?
326300460_3Vj27-L.jpg

326302071_TJXsH-L.jpg

326302344_7Vsj8-L.jpg

326303743_9j9wo-L.jpg

330538725_Kp3Cs-L.jpg

330537880_TD2h8-L.jpg

Thanks for looking... Lighting suggestions very welcome. MM
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    ***Warning*** Spider eating a fly's eye a few images down.

ID?

Thanks for looking... Lighting suggestions very welcome. MM

Hi MM, your first little fella looks like he belongs in a the Mikado,
    that's quite an interesting body design, he looks good :D

The green spider has a nice pattern on his body and face too.

Love the colour of the last spider, spiders really are pretty,
    scary at times, but the patterns and colours amaze me.

Lovely shots MM clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Thanks Skippy... Feeling any better? Have never been to the oprea, but it does have a Japanese Samurai in armor look. Have you seen one before? MM
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi MM, your first little fella looks like he belongs in a the Mikado,
    that's quite an interesting body design, he looks good :D

The green spider has a nice pattern on his body and face too.

Love the colour of the last spider, spiders really are pretty,
    scary at times, but the patterns and colours amaze me.

Lovely shots MM clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Good series
    #1 is an ambush bug - don't often see pics of white ones.
    Is the fly bubble blowing in the silhouette ?

Brian V.
    edited July 16, 2008
    Thanks Brian
    Thanks for the ID. Yes he was blowing bubbles; I have a couple of different shots of him. I was not out looking to capture bugs... was out chasing down a thunder storm looking for lightning. I just happened to look down and there he was. Brian your post “A popular flower” man those images are perfect. How do you do it? I have been backing off from insects and flash I was starting to frustrate myself with the whole lighting thing. Still have my camera in hand ever day but mostly with out my macro kit. If you ever decided to teach a seminar on macro and lighting sign me up. MM
    Good series
    #1 is an ambush bug - don't often see pics of white ones.
    Is the fly bubble blowing in the silhouette ?

Brian V.
    — Lord Byron
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    The first little guy looks like a hermit crab out of water who spent too much time at the beach.:D
    He has a mean look on his face. He's also very protective of his "booty" and might use those claws to git YOUR eye!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thanks for the ID. Yes he was blowing bubbles; I have a couple of different shots of him. I was not out looking to capture bugs... was out chasing down a thunder storm looking for lightning. I just happened to look down and there he was. Brian your post “A popular flower” man those images are perfect. How do you do it? I have been backing off from insects and flash I was starting to frustrate myself with the whole lighting thing. Still have my camera in hand ever day but mostly with out my macro kit. If you ever decided to teach a seminar on macro and lighting sign me up. MM

A bit OT but the flower bug photos were all taken with my standard flash rig with coke can diffuser. Only odd things was In all the cases I was holding the flower underneath with my left hand and resting the lens on that hand. This gives you a fairly stable platform for focus but also allows you twist the stem to get a good angle. Because of the flower colour I was shooting +2/3 FEC over my normal.

Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 17, 2008
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    good shots, last 2 spider shots great. wonderfully coloured spider!
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Found this guy in my back yard. Not sure what type he is but it kept on coming back to the fly and tearing off a piece then moving off to another place on the web and eating what it took. Was cool to see for the first time, yet very gruesome. I wouder if they are kind of like crabs... they go for the softest part first. MM
    — Lord Byron
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks
    jimmyjojo wrote:
    shots of the spider look great, massive amount of detail there

I usually shoot at f11 or higher. Not sure if that is correct or not but in the view finder it looks good. MM
    — Lord Byron
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks for the info
    A bit OT but the flower bug photos were all taken with my standard flash rig with coke can diffuser. Only odd things was In all the cases I was holding the flower underneath with my left hand and resting the lens on that hand. This gives you a fairly stable platform for focus but also allows you twist the stem to get a good angle. Because of the flower colour I was shooting +2/3 FEC over my normal.

Brian V.

You must be the bug whisperer… I have trouble enough just getting close with my 50mm1.4 and a couple of tubes…but to be able to grab the stem and move the flower… I am not that steady. Hey is FEC the same as EV (Nikon)? About a year ago when I first started trying Macro…. I think it was a post I saw from you that stated something about FEC and manual mode was your friend (not quoting here). Most of my Macro is captured using manual with + or – EV. MM
    — Lord Byron