Options

Scanner resolution

owlfoxowlfox Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 16, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Subject says it all. I'm scanning in all our families photos. I've heard that over 300dpi is a waste, but you never know when you want a large (LARGE) print! :)

So: what resolution should I be scanning at to cover me in the eventuality that a sight impared relative needs a large photo?

T.I.A.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Epson v700
    An Epson V700 really should be all you need and if you can't get a large enuff enlargement then get a trial version of Genuine Fractals5.xxxx and uprez all you need....they now say good to 1000%.....my copy is so old it is only good to 300%...but so far that is all I have ever needed to get my 30 x 40" enlargements...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    owlfoxowlfox Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    An Epson V700 really should be all you need and if you can't get a large enuff enlargement then get a trial version of Genuine Fractals5.xxxx and uprez all you need....they now say good to 1000%.....my copy is so old it is only good to 300%...but so far that is all I have ever needed to get my 30 x 40" enlargements...........

Ah... I have an HP all-in-none. It deals with dpi. So, I don't know what you mean by 300 percent. I'm sorry. Could you translate that to dpi?

Currently I'm scanning at 600dpi. Punting, clearly. :)

T.I.A.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    owlfox wrote:
    Ah... I have an HP all-in-none. It deals with dpi. So, I don't know what you mean by 300 percent. I'm sorry. Could you translate that to dpi?

Currently I'm scanning at 600dpi. Punting, clearly. :)

T.I.A.

If you are getting good scans at 600 dpi then that is good....as far as % goes..that was stated that if you need a really large, I mean LARGE enlargement then you should go to Genuine Fractals and get the trial version, it is a one step uprezing software that works in % (so if you need to up size an 8 x 10 to 16 x 20 that should be a 100% increase) GF also works in dimensional sizes..... 8x10, 16x20, 30 x 40 and so on......I sometimes just play with a digital file to see how far I can take them without having tons of noise and having it still look wonderful.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website