Options

Newbie to Smugmug, feedback please

robandjazzyrobandjazzy Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited July 17, 2008 in Technique
329223768_Yk7oR-S.jpg

327734914_83UnN-S-2.jpg

332667745_bHGpv-M.jpg

Just want to get direction I upgraded from the D80 to the D2xs only using a 18-135 for now no filters yet, I'm still learning ( I know should have gotten the D300 at least) please check out B/W shots on my smugmug site Springerish.com, any advise on comp, lighting etc.. from the professionals out there would be more than welcome. Black and Whites are in Newport gallery and other gallery I'm proud of is Argentina.
PS this is my first post, looking foward to many more I posted this in Landscape in error reposting here. Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    I love the 1st and 3rd ones, but the second is too plain for me. Maybe some fill flash to separate the background. Or shoot it wider to get some background difference.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Thank you very much, I got the camera level for the #2 but your right lighting could be better.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thank you very much, I got the camera level for the #2 but your right lighting could be better.
    15524779-Ti.gif - if you look at the light in your third image you will notice that you have some interesting shadows there -bringing out the detail of the figure. In your second, you have no shadows/lighting doing that for you. In that situation, a little light from somewhere to the side of the camera-subject line would add so much more interest to the photo. It doesn't have to be a huge production - you can, sometimes, do this by simply bouncing on-camera flash off a near-by wall.
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I agree with Scott. The last one in a tighter crop with a higher contrast and some bumps in the details will bring that sleepy lion out quite a lot. The cross distracts.
    The only art print I've ever sold was a close up of a sleeping angel... so, based on my experience, people buy sleeping statues! rolleyes1.gif
    I iloveyou.gif the first one. The shadow looks so different from the actual statue that it looks as if the shadow is going to run away!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    332669268_yh2et-M.jpg

332668453_Spufo-M.jpg

The first one I got lucky with the shadow, my wife let me go down from NYC to Argentina with a couple of friends, my main purpose besides the best beef in the world was to get some shots, I was very lucky due to the time of the year (their winter) the sun was very low creating some incredible shadows all day. For the Lion take a look at my gallery from Argentina I took three other ones that are a little wider without the cross that came out a little better if your interested. Springerish.com on smugmug of course.

PS any suggestions on where to learn about filters on this forum or in General?

Springerish.com
  • Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I personally like the looser crop. Too tight and it's just the lion, where as the one with the shrine thing in the background has more context I feel.

Although if you had one with all the text on it I think it would be more interesting.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat