Options

Sample Shot with Gary Fong Lightspear Universal Cloud

silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 21, 2008 in Technique
I can't remember who was asking about the Gary Fong Universal Light Spear Cloud, but here was a test shot I took this morning. I was focused on the far eye.

Larger Image Reduced 50%
Reduced 25%
infoshot001s.jpg

Larger Image Reduced 50%
Reduced 25%
infoshot002s.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I can't remember who was asking about the Gary Fong Universal Light Spear Cloud, but here was a test shot I took this morning. I was focused on the far eye.
    Larger Image Reduced 50%
    Reduced 25%
    Larger Image Reduced 50%
    Reduced 25%

Thank you for sharing! thumb.gif

Can you please also disclose the following info: iso, aperture, shutter speed, focal length used and distance to subject?

And next time you go specifically for testing it would be really nice to have a reference shot taken under the same conditions but without any modifier (bare direct flash), or with using the ceiling/wall as a reflector (bare indirect flash). It would make the whole test so much more valuable. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for sharing! thumb.gif

Can you please also disclose the following info: iso, aperture, shutter speed, focal length used and distance to subject?

And next time you go specifically for testing it would be really nice to have a reference shot taken under the same conditions but without any modifier (bare direct flash), or with using the ceiling/wall as a reflector (bare indirect flash). It would make the whole test so much more valuable. deal.gif

Info on the images,m distance about 1 meter
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    Info on the images,m distance about 1 meter
    Thank you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Nice
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif

For all the negative comments on the Lightsphere, I really do like it for a modifier. It gives a soft appearance to the flash.

Nik, I have it for the 580ex if you want to try it out sometime and I have the gold and silver bounce cap for it as well.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    For all the negative comments on the Lightsphere, I really do like it for a modifier. It gives a soft appearance to the flash.

Nik, I have it for the 580ex if you want to try it out sometime and I have the gold and silver bounce cap for it as well.

Thanks, Kathy, I may take you up on this:-) mwink.gif I hope it'll fit 580EXII...
  • Options
    faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I bought one for my 430EX with the yellow & white lids. I like it for some stuff, but it's kind of awkward to use sometimes. It's also heavy. Not heavy as in my arm is tired from holding it, but heavy as in if I move the camera too fast it will change the position of my flash head.

I shot these two with the diffuser and a lensbaby 2.0:

2366484762_68671738ef.jpg">2365651135_4c904012d6.jpg">
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Kathy, I may take you up on this:-) mwink.gif I hope it'll fit 580EXII...

Same size. Let me know. I have a wedding to shoot coming up and I will need it for the wedding and possibly for a location shoot.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Same size. Let me know. I have a wedding to shoot coming up and I will need it for the wedding and possibly for a location shoot.
    Got it thanks! No rush, I'm still have a lot to play with all my new studio stuff...
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    I have not had that issue with the 540ez moving due to weight of the lightspears, the flash is racheting.

I bought one for my 430EX with the yellow & white lids. I like it for some stuff, but it's kind of awkward to use sometimes. It's also heavy. Not heavy as in my arm is tired from holding it, but heavy as in if I move the camera too fast it will change the position of my flash head.

I shot these two with the diffuser and a lensbaby 2.0:

2366484762_68671738ef.jpg">2365651135_4c904012d6.jpg">
  • Options
    faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    So is the 430EX, but I don't think the ratchet is that solid. It could also be the velocity at which that mass is flung around...I tend to be dodging people in the mosh pit and flying beer a lot:D
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    So is the 430EX, but I don't think the ratchet is that solid. It could also be the velocity at which that mass is flung around...I tend to be dodging people in the mosh pit and flying beer a lot:D

Laughing.gif that would make a difference:D