Options

Unable to upload captions

SledgeSledge Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I created captions and keywords using Canon's Zoombrowser EX software, however they do not appear in Smugmug after I upload the JPG file. I know I can add keywords and captions directly in Smugmug, however, I would prefer to add them once to the base file before uploading. I uploaded the pic files a couple of weeks ago and they keywords and caption still do not appear in Smugmug. If I download the picture from Smugmug the caption is attached so evidently it is attached to the picture file; however, the keywords were not attached to the file

Appreciate any insight into this issue.

Sledge

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Sledge wrote:
    I created captions and keywords using Canon's Zoombrowser EX software, however they do not appear in Smugmug after I upload the JPG file. I know I can add keywords and captions directly in Smugmug, however, I would prefer to add them once to the base file before uploading. I uploaded the pic files a couple of weeks ago and they keywords and caption still do not appear in Smugmug. If I download the picture from Smugmug the caption is attached so evidently it is attached to the picture file; however, the keywords were not attached to the file

Appreciate any insight into this issue.

Sledge
    Hi Sledge and welcome to Dgrin! I'm not familiar with how ZoomBrowser works. Can answer a couple quick questions. Do you know if it is filling in the keywords IPTC field or is it using a database to keep the keywords? How about a sidecar file? If it uses a database or sidecar file the keywords are not getting uploaded with the file.

You say the Caption does not appear on your site but it is in the IPTC data. Is the caption in the Description field in the IPTC data? That is the field that the Caption is populated from. If you can give me a link to a gallery where you are seeing problems I can take a better look at what is going on. If you don't want to post it here you can PM it.

Nick
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome and prompt feedback Nick.
    I'm not really sure of the database structure used by Zoombrowser. Here is a link to the gallery with my first attempt to upload keywords and captions. Maybe you can download one pic file to see where the caption lives (I've configured the gallery so that you can download the original file). If Zoombrowser isn't compatible with SM or the IPTC format, can you recommend another application for managing keywords and captions?

http://www.rouse.smugmug.com/gallery/5297520_qr4HV/1/323192430_TXCXm#323192430_TXCXm

Sledge
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Sledge wrote:
    I'm not really sure of the database structure used by Zoombrowser. Here is a link to the gallery with my first attempt to upload keywords and captions. Maybe you can download one pic file to see where the caption lives (I've configured the gallery so that you can download the original file). If Zoombrowser isn't compatible with SM or the IPTC format, can you recommend another application for managing keywords and captions?

http://www.rouse.smugmug.com/gallery/5297520_qr4HV/1/323192430_TXCXm#323192430_TXCXm

Sledge
    It appears Zoombrowser is not including the keywords or caption in the jpg's you're uploading. You can do a search in the Finishing School to find out what the new hottness is for DAM (Digital Asset Management) and keywording.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thanks again for your help