lacrosse - first outing

South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited July 17, 2008 in Sports
333248693_qwByT-L.jpg

I've been meaning to head out and give lacrosse a try and finally last night it happened. Looking over the results today, I am *somewhat* pleased, but not nearly as much as I had hoped to be.

Basically, I went with my standard hockey settings in mind - F2.8 at 1/250th, ISO 800-1250. A few test shots indicated that wasn't going to happen, so I bumped it up to 1600 and got some useable stuff; problem is they're still underexposed and therefore noisy.

Second period I switch to my faster FA50mm @ F2 and lowered the iso to 640-1000. These results are much cleaner, though by the time I cropped, PP'd, and sharpened them, they too are a bit rough.

Anyways, maybe another kick at the can on Sunday. Till then, here's one sample. More in the accompanying gallery on my site. Note if you are on IE6, apparently not all items will show up...

Rob
Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com

Comments

• shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Lacross
    I think your shutter spd is too slow. You really need 1/500, for hockey also. I know this isn't going to help the exposure values but the images will be sharper to begin with.
    Adding sharpening in pp, "gives" more grain, ie. makes it worse.
    I have a Nikon D70S and a D300. I started shooting hockey with the D70 and it was tough to pp a useable image, even shooting RAW. The D300 is a whole lot better. I'm guessing the K100 falls somewhere in between and there is no magic solution, that I know of.
    But, you need to get a sharp image, and best exposure you can. Then pp exposure and noise reduction(need dedicated noise reduction program).
    Steve

I shot some winter field hockey games indoors - looks like your lacross location, and just too dark. Worse lighting than typicall gym or hockey rink!
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    333248693_qwByT-L.jpg

I've been meaning to head out and give lacrosse a try and finally last night it happened. Looking over the results today, I am *somewhat* pleased, but not nearly as much as I had hoped to be.

Basically, I went with my standard hockey settings in mind - F2.8 at 1/250th, ISO 800-1250. A few test shots indicated that wasn't going to happen, so I bumped it up to 1600 and got some useable stuff; problem is they're still underexposed and therefore noisy.

Second period I switch to my faster FA50mm @ F2 and lowered the iso to 640-1000. These results are much cleaner, though by the time I cropped, PP'd, and sharpened them, they too are a bit rough.

Anyways, maybe another kick at the can on Sunday. Till then, here's one sample. More in the accompanying gallery on my site. Note if you are on IE6, apparently not all items will show up...

Rob
    I've shot thousands of lax pix, none indoors; it's hard enough in bright sunlight. You have some motion blur in the shooter's legs and feet here -- just wait until he starts his shot! I believe that 640 is the minimum shutter speed that works for lax (HS level and above), and that's pushing it. So I would say, start with your shutter speed and figure out what you need to do from there for proper exposure -- without flash you could find that the solution is a null set.