Options

shell creek WY (6 bulky imgs)

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited April 20, 2005 in Landscapes
hi all,

i dunno how often i've stood on the banks of shell creek, or some other stream for that matter, thinking how fun it would be to head right in there to get some different perspectives. anyway, so on saturday i picked up a pair of $60 waders from wallyworld and headed back into the mountains.

what a blast... think i spent a good three hours wading upstream, through what on average was around waist-deep water... tripod in one hand for support, 20d in the other :rolleyes sunk the tripod, drenched the remote, lenscap, and a pack of cigarettes... ended the day with a gallon or two of ice cold water pouring down my back, pants, and into my shoes... other than that it was pretty uneventful :lol3 thankfully, the 20d stayed dry :bow

the current was pretty strong and i ended up taking all shots handheld with the 17-40.

original.jpg

yaaaa, i know i know... but there's something about that trail in the sky :dunno i'll do another version and clone it out... just thought it was kinda interesting, lol.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

a few of the above are panos done using autostitch, amazing little tool :thumb honestly dunno about the processing in some of these though... after sitting in front of the puter a while, sometimes it just takes another "fresh" look at things. often enough i'll sit here the next day thinking wtf.....

anyway, it was a great, fun, risky, dumb little excursion. dumb enough to want to do it again :giggle

thanks for looking and stuff. sorry they're a bit on the bulky side... i do the majority of my web versions at 800px but some of these just didn't look right at that size.

i need to get my hands on a nd filter before heading back there.

cheers,
sash

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Great bright shots as usual sash.thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    excellent.
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Just simply awesome Sash! I like them all, very very nice! Thank you for sharing (and putting up with the ice water)!

AJ
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    clap.gif

Very nice. Definitely a different perspective. Funny story to boot. Glad that "no camera equipment was harmed during the making of these photos." thumb.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Great story and shots. Wonderful color.

They all look oversharpened to me. Was that on purpose? Maybe it was done with some tool other than PS USM? If you want a more natural look, look into the current DDA, and associated part1 and part2 tutorials.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    thanks, all!

rutt, i agree on the oversharpening - thanks for pointing that out. i had sent some larger versions out via email, then resized and applied another round of usm from there to arrive at these. maybe that's where it set in and i went overboard headscratch.gif i'll check out those tutorials and will give it another try tonight... appreciate the links! :):

cheers,
    sascha
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 19, 2005
    Lovely Sash thumb.gifthumb.gif

I think a large print of that 3rd shot belongs on one of my walls clap.gifclap.gif

The waders were a great idea. Just glad we didn't see any underwater shots....lol Even using waders with treaded soles, I'm sure I would have fallen azz over teakettle into the water eek7.gif Too bad about your pack of smokes :lol

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Over sharp or not these are very nicethumb.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Wow. Beautiful scenery captured well. Very nice.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    thanks mhjs, khaos... steve, knowing my luck you'll still end up getting that underwater shot, lol crying.gif

i reprocessed one of the images and eased up on the usm... entirely different workflow with very different results nerd.gifi hope i didn't end up fixing one aspect and destroying another rolleyes1.gif

original.jpg
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Great shots, I like them all... Good Jobthumb.gifthumb.gif

Ed