Hot Beach Babee

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited July 22, 2008 in People

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    First, just let me say I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing!thumb.gif and should be celebrated at every turn.clap.gifivar wings.gif

I've come back to this image a number times in an attempt to "see both sides of coin." I've yet to find anything flattering or celebratory about or in in this image. I have no doubt the model is a lovely lady, but I don't think this image does anything to show us that. Sorryne_nau.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    hot indeed!

Thanks Josh for commenting :D
    edited July 18, 2008
    First, just let me say I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing!thumb.gif and should be celebrated at every turn.clap.gifivar wings.gif

I've come back to this image a number times in an attempt to "see both sides of coin." I've yet to find anything flattering or celebratory about or in in this image. I have no doubt the model is a lovely lady, but I don't think this image does anything to show us that. Sorryne_nau.gif

Appreciate your comment Scott. :D
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Interesting take above. I'm new. Are the posted images only supposed to be flaterring to the subjects or celebratory?

To me the image is striking and draws me in. The only thing I might try differently is to "tone" it down a bit but then this of course takes away from what I believe the photographer is trying to convey. A very hot day on the beach. The tiltled horizon is one of those things but I'm sure it gives it that little extra punch. It would probably be less appealing with a corrected horion.

Finally, if someone comes back to an image several times....I believe that is really all you have to say, you've just given the photographer the ultimate compliment. Anything said after that doesn't hold much weight. The compliment has already been cast.
  • twhite14twhite14 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    I have to be honest, I it took me a while to fully appreciate this photo. For me it was the hand laying across the stomach. At first my reaction was "a pregnant woman in a bikini???" But the hand for me gives it that motherly vibe of laying with her child. Plus the intersection of the hand to her hips I found to be interesting, almost like a sports car kind of line.

So, congrats on taking a photo that makes people sit and stare clap.gif
    edited July 19, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    Interesting take above. I'm new. Are the posted images only supposed to be flaterring to the subjects or celebratory?

To me the image is striking and draws me in. The only thing I might try differently is to "tone" it down a bit but then this of course takes away from what I believe the photographer is trying to convey. A very hot day on the beach. The tiltled horizon is one of those things but I'm sure it gives it that little extra punch. It would probably be less appealing with a corrected horion.

Finally, if someone comes back to an image several times....I believe that is really all you have to say, you've just given the photographer the ultimate compliment. Anything said after that doesn't hold much weight. The compliment has already been cast.

Thank you very much.
    edited July 19, 2008
    twhite14 wrote:
    I have to be honest, I it took me a while to fully appreciate this photo. For me it was the hand laying across the stomach. At first my reaction was "a pregnant woman in a bikini???" But the hand for me gives it that motherly vibe of laying with her child. Plus the intersection of the hand to her hips I found to be interesting, almost like a sports car kind of line.

So, congrats on taking a photo that makes people sit and stare clap.gif

Thank you Tim. Appreciate you taking the time to comment and critique.:D
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    I'm 8 months along and wish i had the guts to sit on the beach in almost nothing! i think she looks beautiful, but agree that that this shot doesn't jump out at me. Maybe a different angle would have helped.

Enjoyed :D
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Interesting
    Behind every photograph there is usually a story.

Obviously this is a pregnancy shot. There are lots of ways to interpret it but to do that you need information from the artist. It could be a commentary - it's it a photojournalist's image? Is it supposed to be a portrait? Is it a frame that was commissioned with the subject's request.

Things I notice is that while she's in a bikini, there is no blanket or towel visitble - sand is usually NOT very comfortable. Pregnancy isn't comfotrable either. Actually, I am not preggo and I wouldn't be caught dead in a bikini.

So what's the story? - it helps to have to critque the image. Without it, can't comment fairly to the photographer - need the intent!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited July 20, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Behind every photograph there is usually a story.

Obviously this is a pregnancy shot. There are lots of ways to interpret it but to do that you need information from the artist. It could be a commentary - it's it a photojournalist's image? Is it supposed to be a portrait? Is it a frame that was commissioned with the subject's request.

Things I notice is that while she's in a bikini, there is no blanket or towel visitble - sand is usually NOT very comfortable. Pregnancy isn't comfotrable either. Actually, I am not preggo and I wouldn't be caught dead in a bikini.

So what's the story? - it helps to have to critque the image. Without it, can't comment fairly to the photographer - need the intent!

Candid shot of a beautiful unknown woman in Oahu.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Permission?
    dlplumer wrote:
    Candid shot of a beautiful unknown woman in Oahu.

Thanks, dlplumer for that information. Did she give her permission to you?

Yes, she's on a public beach (my assumption) and you have the right to take this picture. If you did not get her permission, then I'd say it's private and you don't have the right to show it. Legally you do, but, you invaded her personal space. Her bikini to me looks like a bra and panty. Knowing that it's a shot in public, maybe without permission, make me feel that this woman has been violated somehow and that really bothers me as a female.

As for the shot, her pose isn't the most flattering. The angle of the water and sand conflct with her. While her hand is on her bump in a loving fashion, her skin is washed by the sunlight and there is just no connection with any of the elements of the shot.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Looks like a tired pregnant mother to be that is trying to find some confort on the beach. I can imagine the sound of the waves must be soothing.

I'm not sure if I like the image too much. It seems like it was not quite pulled off. I'm kind of thinking the black glasses, black top, and uhh black undies/bikini bottom is what is throwing me. Perhaps if those items were tan/brown, or maybe white, it might work better.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    The angle of the water and sand conflct with her.

I rather like the tilted horizon here. It is balanced by the horizontal line of her head, shoulder and hip and makes for a more interesting composition.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008

Looking closer at the picture you notice she is in a dugout hole. There is a towel underneath her, but lying in a hole and shooting at ground level makes it look like she is just lying on sand.

I like the shot. My only suggestion would be to play around with the saturation/warmth of the picture. There's not much color in the pic, so bringing out more saturation in what is in the picture may give it more pop.
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Looking closer at the picture you notice she is in a dugout hole. There is a towel underneath her, but lying in a hole and shooting at ground level makes it look like she is just lying on sand.

Now that we know this is not a set up shot...I'm sure she dug the hole so that she could lay on her belly! Something that every pregnant woman wants to do! :cry
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
    edited July 22, 2008
    Thanks Richard and Jon. Appreciate your generous feedback. :D

Dan