Rugged entry level camera - K200D?

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited November 10, 2008 in Cameras
Trying to talk myself out of a K200D, but I can't come up with anything. I currently use an S5IS, but find it wanting for wide angle, low light, and bokeh purposes.

I have no aspirations of shooting sports or wildlife. 90% of my shots are while travelling, the other 10% family/friends. I generally travel by motorcycle and not always on the road, so the dust/weatherproofing of the K200D is a bonus. It also takes AA's and SD cards, so my arsenal of media and power for the S5 all carries over, saving me some coin.

Only real negatives I've seen on the Pentax are the burst rate and buffer size. Kit lens is supposed to be better than most, and coming from P&S land will keep me amused for a while. The ability to use all the legacy lenses is really intriguing. I don't see a need for live view... I rarely use the LCD on my S5.

At $650, with a lot of support from 3rd party lens makers, and relatively cheaper OEM glass and flashes, seems like a rugged, economical entrance into DSLR ownership.

Any glaring faults with the camera that I glossed over, given the above purpose?

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Being a Pentax user myself, if you are looking to spend $650, I'd get a second hand K 10D which has much of what the 200D has and more for about $500 and get a decent equivalent to the Kit lens in a Pentax or Sigma.

See my sig for what I shoot.

my 2¢,

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I think the pentax DSLRs are really underrated. I think they are great cameras packed with features for better prices than the Nikon & Canon counterparts.
    The only downside I see with Pentax is a somewhat limited lens line. But, there are a lot of great 3rd party lenses that makes up for any deficiencies. Go for it!
  • CheekygeekCheekygeek Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Entry Level Bang for the buck: Pentax K200D
    I realize that this is somewhat of a "religious" issue and if you have invested in lenses of a certain mount, you want to stay there. But if you do not have a lens inventory and are getting into a DSLR for the first time, it really appears to me that the Pentax K200D gives you FAR AND AWAY the most bang for the buck.

Here are the features that the K200D has that are important to me. Most of them are not found on ANY OTHER comparable camera from other mfg:
    • Stainless steel chassis. I *hate* the lightweight plastic feel of the Rebels.
    • Weather-resistant seals. This is a big deal to me, as part of what I will be doing is shooting weather in "Tornado Alley" (the Pentax DA lenses are also weather-sealed)
    • Shake resistance built into the BODY, not the lenses (nice considering that you then get shake resistance even with the K-mount lenses [and screwmount with adapter] you can use on it)
    • Spot metering - unavailable in any other entry-level camera
    • A kit lens that you don't have to be embarrassed over (and the original has even been improved in the II version)
    • Stainless steel lens mount (others are plastic in this critical area).
    • 11 point auto-focus (others are 7)
    • AA battery over proprietary design (and the ability to even shoot with Alkalines in a pinch)
    • Ergonomics: not only how it feels in you hand, but control layout. I like the RAW button, for instance.
    All of the above should make the camera worth MORE than a competing model, but with the current rebate one is looking at a street price of about $560 making it a supremely great deal.

I'm not interested in Live View, so missing that "feature" is not at all important to me. The biggest downside to the camera is the three-frames per second burst can only take 4-5 pics before buffer needs to clear. This probably won't effect me, but might be a problem for some users. I also wish it had it's Big Brother K20D's pentaprism instead of the "pentamirror", as it is supposed to be slightly dimmer. But for the money, I'd still go for the K200D over the comparably priced Canon and Nikon models. Sorta sad that Pentax DSLRs don't get more attention, cause it looks like they are really succeeding at providing a lot for the money.
    My opinions are free. And worth every penny.
    edited July 18, 2008
    Oops: see my thread starter
    Sorry, didn't see this thread until I had posted this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=100109

I too am BLOWN AWAY by how much you get with a 200D (especially with the current rebate, until 7/26). No other camera in the price range even comes close (IMHO)
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Every system has its strong points and weak points. IMHO the current prices on the 40D gives one the best "bang" for the buck and the new Sonys ain't too shabby either.

To say any one is the best at all is just inviting an argument.

Glad that you like the Pentax though.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited July 18, 2008
    Cheekygeek wrote:
    Sorry, didn't see this thread until I had posted this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=100109

I too am BLOWN AWAY by how much you get with a 200D (especially with the current rebate, until 7/26). No other camera in the price range even comes close (IMHO)

I merged the two threads.

Yes, Pentax cameras have a lot going for them. I know two people with Pentax systems and one of them is a professional shooter with both a K10D and a K20D.

I have often thought about purchasing a body just to support a number of older, but great, Pentax lenses that I held onto. thumb.gif

Then again the new Nikons are great and the reviews on the new Sony dSLRs are nice and Olympus has always had an interesting feature set with equally interesting prices and ... well, it's hard to find a real "clinker" nowdays. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 19, 2008
    Somehow my post above ended up saying the opposite of what I wanted to say:
    But for the money, I'd still go for the comparably priced Canon and Nikon models.

What I meant to say was:

But for the money, I'd still go for the K200D over the comparably priced Canon and Nikon models.

I've edited the post above to match my sentiments (it's generally a good policy to agree with yourself). :D

Another advantage of the K200D is the money you can save on lenses. As mentioned, with the shake reduction built into the BODY there is no need to replicate the purchase on the lens side of the equation (buying the IS technology over and over for each lens). This means that you are often being allowed to opt for a faster lens, instead of being forced to CHOOSE between a faster lens and IS (as is being debated in a current thread in this forum).

An example of what you can save comes when you look at an ultrawide. My son-in-law shoots Canon and raves about the Canon 10-22mm. No doubt it is a great lens. His recommendation on that lens is almost enough to make me want to go Canon by itself. However, in comparing, it seems that people are generally just about as happy with the Sigma 10-20mm. Not quite as fast (4.0 to 3.5) but I believe you could shoot at f/2.8 comparable exposures with the shake reduction of the Pentax body (using a slower shutter speed) with the Sigma lens. So you haven't really lost anything. Most of the time you will probably be trying to avoid shooting either of those lenses wide open anyway. In addition, the Sigma comes with a lens shade that Canon makes you pay extra for... all for a good $200+ savings over the Canon 10-22mm. Another minor advantage on the wide end is that the Pentax sensor give you a 1.5X factor instead of a 1.6x factor. So a 10mm on a Pentax is giving you a 15mm wide equiv. while the same focal length on the Canon is 16mm. Win-Win-WIN for the Pentax, in my book! Especially if you are looking bang-for-the-buck instead of microscopically examining ridiculous blow-ups.
    edited July 24, 2008
    Just a note to let anyone interested in this thread know that I put my money where my mouth is and ordered the Pentax K200D w/kit lens yesterday. It will be my first DSLR, although I'm not really the Total Newbie that (normally) implies. rolleyes1.gif

After agonizing over the decision, exercising my Google-Fu and reading everything I could on the subject, my decision came down to two cameras:
    Pentax K200D and the Canon XSi. (I think the Canon XS would have been a fairer comparison, but it is not yet available on the street).

I really couldn't ignore the following Pentax advantages (on things that are important or somewhat important to me):
    • Kit lens quality that you don't have to be embarrassed over
    • Weather-resistant/Dust-resistant sealing
    • Shake reduction built into body ($$$/slower IS lenses unnecessary)
    • Ability to use vintage glass and early k-mount accessories
    • True spot metering
    • Metal chassis (hate the cheap plastic-y feel of Rebels)
    • Stainless steel lens mount (others are plastic)
    • ISO/sensitivity-priority mode
    • AA (not proprietary) batteries
    • Topside LCD display
    • Ergonomics - both how it fits in your hand and the number of controls/buttons and their placement.
    • After rebate: $300 left in my pocket (over the XSi)clap.gif
    • Amazon reader reviews advantage (5 stars to 4-1/2) :D
    With the rebate period coming to a close, it was time to make a decision. Order placed for the Pentax K200D. Can't wait for it to get here!

Honestly, if I weren't paying for three daughter's weddings at the moment, I'd love to have been able to get the K20D, but I think the K200D offers way more than 1/2 the value for 1/2 the money.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Mazel Tov
    I'm happy for you. This K200D is a wonderful tool that you will put to good use for a long time.
    Did you order the pretty darn good kit lens? Any other lenses or will this do ya for a while?
    Be wary of the inevitable LBA disease that hits all Pentaxians!

M
    edited July 24, 2008
    Heh. Thanks Miguel!

I could have ordered the Sigma 10-20mm ultrawide along with the kit, but decided to wait. I figure that I will be having plenty of fun for a while figuring out how to use both the camera properly and learn post-processing. (My son-in-law is Ryan McGinnis, a PS guru who was featured in a recent issue of Photoshop Creative on the subject of HDR. He's planning on skooling FIL.) thumb.gif

Secondly, I'm thinking that by Spring there might be one or two other options to consider in the ultrawide arena. I'm really expecting an ultrawide announcement out of Pentax at Photokina. I expect it to be based on the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 which is currently only available for Nikon/Canon. I'm not sure which one I'd go with, but I figure I'll wait and see what's available and then make the purchase by next March/April (hopefully).

Thirdly, I'm hoping to get some "other lens" fixes out of vintage glass. I'm interested in getting some auto extension tubes for macro work, and I have a vintage Hoya HMC 70-210mm f/3.8 (a weird bird that I can't find much out about).

Are the days waiting for your mail order camera to come the LONGEST DAYS EVAR, or what? Shoulda splurged for next day shipping! eek7.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    Cheekygeek wrote:

Are the days waiting for your mail order camera to come the LONGEST DAYS EVAR, or what? Shoulda splurged for next day shipping! eek7.gif
    Well that depends where you are. I gets next morning delivery, even with a later afternoon order, out of NYC from where I am!

:D

I'd consider a 11-16mm f/2.8 for my K-10D!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited July 25, 2008
    I have the Pentax 12-24mm and use it a lot. Very sharp. At f4 it's fast enough. I tend to get some purple fringing, nothing too severe, but it does have to be dealt with, sometimes beyond Lightroom's capabilities.
    A friend let me borrow his Nikon with the Sigma 10-20. Another nice lens, though I had this feeling that 12mm was about at the limit of my comfort zone.
    Anyway, wide is good.

M
    DonRicklin wrote:
    [deleted]

I'd consider a 11-16mm f/2.8 for my K-10D!

Don
    edited July 25, 2008
    I know there have been speculation threads elsewhere, but looking at the Pentax DA* lenses announced previously the 11-16mm would fit very nicely at the wide end of the spectrum: 11-16, 16-50, 50-135.
    It would (presumably) bring the Pentax weather/dust sealing, SDM System focusing, and (of course) the superb Pentax lens coatings - (none of which would be available on the Tokina Nikon/Canon versions of the lens). :ivar

Better start saving my shekels. That lens will (no doubt) cost more than my K200D kit.
    edited July 25, 2008
    You got that right my friend. I'm thinking an ultra-wide DA* would run $700-900 US. I own the DA*50-135 and it is a gem. A little heavy but amazingly quiet and a sweet rendering of color. I figure it will be inherited by my kids.
    Since we're talking skekels and lenses, I'll also throw out there for you to consider the new DA Limited Macro 35mm. Being a Limited, it too is pricey but in the two months I've had it, I'm having a difficult time removing it from my K10D body. Very pocketable (if you CAN get if off your camera), it reminds me of the classic manual lenses of twenty-five years ago. I prefer manually focusing the DA 35, the smooth tactile feedback just adds to the pleasure.
    This shot I took the other day with the DA 35 macro:
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=100372

M
    Cheekygeek wrote:
    [deleted]
    Better start saving my shekels. That lens will (no doubt) cost more than my K200D kit.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Kit is down to 599 locally.

I think I'm in. :ivar

Any last thoughts? ear.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Go for it!

Yeah, I'm out of excuses. lol3.gif

Edit: Done. clap.gif