Have a look Skippy

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited July 18, 2008 in Holy Macro
In another thread here you said...
Jack that first shot is a beauty clap.gif the centre of the flower is quite intriguing..... Skippy :D
Frankly that's what prompted me to photograph it. The images below show how the centre ages once the flower fades.

While the flower is fresh.

333280377_Whcbb-L.jpg

When the petals drop.

333270011_5PeiR-L.jpg

When the leaves turn brown and leathery it looks like a wonderful desert confection.

333248569_iWY5F-L.jpg

Here's a close-up showing what seems to be melted sugar drizzled on it.

333254303_RkuTm-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I always look at the photos and then read the writing. I was thinking the same thing about it looking like a creme or a delicious sugary treat. Maybe that's why cooks use flowers in presentation?
    On that last comment, no no my dear, some raspberry puree, hand beaten egg whites and sugar just to tips, caramel sauce, brown sugar melted in, a crisp, ripe raspberry on top that's been sipped in the brown sugar.
    OooOOOOOOOooooooo. I'm a baker. Can you tell?
    Wouldn't all that be divine if this was actually a frosting, peeled apple, and white champagne cake concoction? OOoo. I'm so hungry now.:cry
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Lovely shots- do look like some culinary pud masterpieces :)
    Brian V.
    edited July 17, 2008
    Way off topic
    You have a cute bug with a bubble there, do they actually blow bubbles and do you know why>?
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I always look at the photos and then read the writing. I was thinking the same thing about it looking like a creme or a delicious sugary treat. Maybe that's why cooks use flowers in presentation?
    On that last comment, no no my dear, some raspberry puree, hand beaten egg whites and sugar just to tips, caramel sauce, brown sugar melted in, a crisp, ripe raspberry on top that's been sipped in the brown sugar.
    OooOOOOOOOooooooo. I'm a baker. Can you tell?
    Wouldn't all that be divine if this was actually a frosting, peeled apple, and white champagne cake concoction? OOoo. I'm so hungry now.:cry

Ahhhh You're making me hungry! My wife too loves to cook and bake. I'm a lucky guy since the only culinary masterpieces I'm able to conjure up come from the microwave. :D

Jack
    edited July 17, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Ahhhh You're making me hungry! My wife too loves to cook and bake. I'm a lucky guy since the only culinary masterpieces I'm able to conjure up come from the microwave. :D
    I can't cook to save my life [literally.] I can bake though. I can bake... if you lived closer I'd zip off some of my Royal Sweet Sugar Cookies. They smell soooo good. I also use substitutes that don't compormise flavor so that they are *that* bad for you. When I close my eyes I can smell the cookies baking. I iloveyou.gif cookies.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 17, 2008
    nice series jack, my magnolia flowers quite often open with the stamens fallen off, very rarely see the centre like in you frames.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    edited July 17, 2008
    Lovely shots- do look like some culinary pud masterpieces :)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian

Jack
    edited July 17, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    nice series jack, my magnolia flowers quite often open with the stamens fallen off, very rarely see the centre like in you frames.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Thanks Phil. I've done quite a bit of googling on flower anatomy as a result of your post. I wondered what those uprite cylindrical bits were. Now know they are the stamens. The curly bits up top being the stigmas. Also found out that Magnolias are one of the most primitive of flowers.

Jack
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    In another thread here you said...

Frankly that's what prompted me to photograph it. The images below show how the centre ages once the flower fades.

While the flower is fresh.
    When the petals drop.
    When the leaves turn brown and leathery it looks like a wonderful desert confection.
    Here's a close-up showing what seems to be melted sugar drizzled on it.

Hey Jack, wow I would never have guessed it's the same flower at all eek7.gif
    Your right on with your description of the third shot looking like a wonderful desert nod.gif

Never thought to shoot something in stages like this Jack
    ..... cool shots thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin