Smokem if you gotem

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited September 10, 2008 in People
Was at a bar tonight and took some photos of my friends with the new Nikon 50 1.4. I'm blown away by this lens. The 1.4 aperture is amazing! Anyway, hope you like them.

1/90th 1.4 ISO 1600
DSC_4891.jpg

1/20th 1.4 ISO 800
DSC_4863-Edit.jpg

1/10th 1.4 ISO 800
DSC_5157.jpg

I know the 3rd one is blurry and not really here for quality show and tell. Actually, she is pointing at the roach that was climbing up another person's arm!

Comments

• KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    #1, I really dig the use of his lighter for your own light source. I think it would be more dramatic on a darker backround.
    #2, I'm thinking John Lennon, or that dude from Oasis.

Nice bunch! Putting the lens to very good use!
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thanks! I agree with you about #1. I'll be on the look out for more photo ops in the future to see if I an do better.

Looking at the photos, I also realize that there is a light still visible in 1 and 2. I was trying to keep it behind his head, but looks like I got caught up in the heat of the moment and forgot.
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Cool shots .. But ...... You should try the 85/1.4 !!!! ; )
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    love the lighting and low noise at 1600 in that first one.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks!
    The D300 does have very low noise, compared to my old D70. I dialed in some camera noise reduction, so perhaps the photos would have been sharper without it but its pretty good.

I put those photos on facebook for my friends and I could see one of them flipping through them at work today. Imagine my releif when one of them commented how good the photo was. " You can't take a photo like that with a point and shoot! Look at how sharp they are," he said. I was happy to hear that my setup does enable me to take better pictures than a point and shoot:D

I'd like to try the 85mm 1.4 but its a bit out of my budget right now with my otherplanned purchases.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    I like your 1.st picture.
    However, I think it needs some correction on the colors because it looks too magenta to me. Or may be it is only my monitor because yours is calibrated for what I read somewhere.:D
    A littl ebit of sharpness could benefit the pictures...:D
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook